Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Jamaica approves Remdesivir for treatment of COVID-19 patients

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
October 15, 2020
in Global
Remdesivir (Istock photo)

Remdesivir (Istock photo)

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Remdesivir (Istock photo)

Jamaicans infected with COVID-19 will soon have access to the antiviral drug Remdesivir which has proven to shorten the recovery time for some patients.

The Ministry of Health and Wellness has indicated that it will be procuring supplies of the drug through the National Health Fund to treat COVID-19 patients in public facilities.

READ ALSO

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

The ministry, in a statement Wednesday, said it took the decision following a public call for greater access to Remdesivir.

It explained that the procurement is based on the available scientific evidence, including in the highly rated New England Journal of Medicine, that shows Remdesivir may be effective in the treatment of the coronavirus. The drug has been shown to reduce the length of in-hospital stay by five days and to reduce mortality rates by four per cent.

However, the ministry has advised that clinical trials are still ongoing in various countries.

“So far, the drug has not received full approval in any country and is being used under ‘Emergency Use Authorisation’ in some countries,” the ministry noted.

“In Jamaica, while we await full registration approval in the country of origin, the drug can be used under the controls of a study or under an emergency license…,” the statement added.

The ministry has issued a number of emergency permits for the importation of the drug. This requires a letter from the prescribing physician indicating the need for this drug and including recognition of the responsibility for prescribing an unapproved drug as well as the consent of the patient to take an unapproved drug, the statement continued.

The ministry said it has stipulated that the prescribing and administering of the drug must comply with the following conditions:

– Informed consent must be obtained;

– Inventory control systems must be put in place at the facilities to ensure that records of the dispensed product and patient information are maintained — similar to that used for controlled substances;

– That the drug be administered to hospitalised patients who are closely monitored;

– Serious adverse events must be tracked and reported to the Pharmacovigilance Unit of the Standards and Regulations Division of the ministry, using the PharmWatch Drug Monitoring Form, located on the ministry website.

The move to procure Remdesivir, once touted as a “wonder drug” for COVID-19, is timely as Jamaica’s death toll has moved from 10 in the first week of August to 151 as of Wednesday. The number of people infected with COVID-19 has moved from just under 1,000 during the same period to 7,989, also as of Wednesday. (Loop)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
[Photo/Xinhua]
Global

Robotics boom fueling nation’s tech ambitions

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 3,000 cutting-edge robots and related products packed the 2026 World Robot Conference, which opened in Beijing on Wednesday,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Robin Uthappa is cleaned up by a searing yorker BCCI

Royals miss out as Nortje leads Capitals' stellar defence 


EDITOR'S PICK

Challenging Misguided Views; A Response to Robin Singh’s Call to Discredit the Geneva Agreement

November 17, 2023

Guyana’s National Junior table tennis team

April 19, 2025
Minister of Health,  Dr. Frank Anthony, PAHO/WHO Guyana representative, Dr. Luis Felipe Codina, and Deputy British High Commissioner, Mr. Ray Davidson pay keen attention to eh Region four Health Officer during a tour of the facility

Government commissions Diamond Smart Hospital

April 24, 2021
FILE - A journalist observes the site where an Israeli airstrike hit a compound housing journalists, killing three media staffers from two different news agencies according to Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency, in Hasbaya village, southeast Lebanon, Friday, Oct. 25, 2024. (AP Photo/Mohammed Zaatari, File)

An Israeli strike that killed 3 Lebanese journalists was most likely deliberate, watchdog says

November 25, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice