Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

‘Breakdown in law and order ‘ 

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
September 15, 2020
in News
Amanza Walton-Desir, APNU+AFC Member of Parliament

Amanza Walton-Desir, APNU+AFC Member of Parliament

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Opposition MP, Amanza Walton-Desir

– country plunged into ethnic strife, says MP Walton-Desir 

Less than two months under the leadership of the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) Administration, racial tension, in Guyana, has spiraled out of control, A Partnership for National Unity + Alliance For Change (APNU+AFC) Member of Parliament, Amanza Walton-Desir said as Budget Debates opened in the National Assembly earlier today.

In delivering her maiden speech on Monday Walton-Desir – an Attorney-at-Law – said the situation is further compounded by a rapid deterioration of law and order in the country.  “Mr Speaker I wish to record my alarm and my great concern at the rapid deterioration of law and order that we have seen. We have been plunged, Mr Speaker, over the last few weeks into the depths of ethnic strife, reminiscent of the descent into those dark days of the 1960’s recorded in the annals of our history,” Walton-Desir said.

READ ALSO

Court Halts Maha Sabha Ashram Works as Management Dispute Deepens

Mohameds Demand Anderson Recuse Himself, Urgent Disclosure of Records

The discovery of the mutilated bodies of two cousins – Joel Henry and Isaiah Henry – aback the Cotton Tree Village on the West Coast of Berbice on Sunday, September 14, 2020 sparked a series of fiery protests along the West Coast of Berbice and East Coast of Berbice corridors with citizens, the majority of them Afro-Guyanese, demanding justice. Two days into the protest, it took a violent turn – a number of persons were reportedly beaten, and their properties including cars, buses and trucks set ablaze. By day three, the body of another teenager – Haresh Singh – was discovered with marks of violence while older man was killed after opening fire on protestors.

“As a Guyanese Mr. Speaker, it is my view that the blame for this current state of affairs must be placed squarely at the feet of those, who in their thirst for political power, unabashedly fanned the flames of racism and intolerance or who in their silence were complicit,” the APNU+AFC Parliament said.

In addition to the murders, Walton-Desir told the House that the constitutional rights of Guyanese have been trampled upon since the PPP/C Administration took office on August 2, 2020. At the time, the Member of Parliament was referring to the cases involving former Director of Sports, Christopher Jones and Region Four Returning Officer, Clairmont Mingo.

Last month, the Guyana Police Force, notwithstanding a High Court injunction, invaded Jones’ home and removed a number of barbering chairs and other equipment on the basis that he had “stolen” them. Jones was also taken into custody, despite the Court blocking any such action, and notwithstanding the fact, that the items seized, were purchased for him. The Force’s action was described by many as a clear disregard for the Court and rights of citizens.

Walton-Desir warned that the day of reckoning will soon come. “…As history has shown us time and time again,  a country mired in ethnic strife and inequality is never able to realise its potential, and that the only ones who benefit from such a state of affairs are those who in their lust for wealth and power have no reservations rending the very fabric of this nation.”

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Maha Sabha
News

Court Halts Maha Sabha Ashram Works as Management Dispute Deepens

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The legal battle over control of the Guyana Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha has intensified, with the High Court imposing significant...

Read moreDetails
News

Mohameds Demand Anderson Recuse Himself, Urgent Disclosure of Records

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Attorneys for Nazar and Azruddin Mohamed have escalated their challenge to the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), demanding urgent disclosure...

Read moreDetails
News

President Ali Attacks, Opposition Leader Mohamed Demands Evidence

by Admin
August 19, 2026

President Irfaan Ali and Opposition Leader Azruddin Mohamed have become locked in a fierce public confrontation over corruption, credibility and...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Former Minister of Communities, Ronald Bulkan

Bulkans lose $90M lawsuit against Bank of Guyana 


EDITOR'S PICK

The Golden Deception, How Guyana’s Gold Industry Fuels Tax Evasion and Global Crime

November 13, 2025
Sweet Sage (Things Guyana Photo)

Health Benefits of Sage

September 10, 2023

Police investigating alleged murder of Chaitram

May 23, 2023
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro speaks during a ceremony marking the start of the judicial year at the Supreme Tribunal in Caracas, Venezuela, Friday, January 22, 2021 [Matias Delacroix/AP Photo]

Colombian businessman wanted by US had Maduro-Iran letter

January 23, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice