Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

COVID-19 hospital ready to house positive cases 

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
August 30, 2020
in News
Minister of Health, Dr. Frank Anthony being given a guided tour of the COVID-19 hospital by Director of Medical and Professional Services, Dr. Fawcett Jeffrey and CEO of the GPHC, Brigadier Retired George Lewis. Also, in the photo is Minister of Public Affairs within the Office of the Prime Minister, Kwame McCoy along with other from the GPHC.

Minister of Health, Dr. Frank Anthony being given a guided tour of the COVID-19 hospital by Director of Medical and Professional Services, Dr. Fawcett Jeffrey and CEO of the GPHC, Brigadier Retired George Lewis. Also, in the photo is Minister of Public Affairs within the Office of the Prime Minister, Kwame McCoy along with other from the GPHC.

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Minister of Health, Dr. Frank Anthony being given a guided tour of the COVID-19 hospital by Director of Medical and Professional Services, Dr. Fawcett Jeffrey and CEO of the GPHC, Brigadier Retired George Lewis. Also, in the photo is Minister of Public Affairs within the Office of the Prime Minister, Kwame McCoy along with other from the GPHC.

Phase one of the repurposing of the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention is completed; this will now allow for the housing of COVID-19-positive patients in the facility’s isolation section.

In recent weeks, key works were implemented to ensure the roll-out of phase one. Minister of Health, Dr. Frank Anthony, of Saturday told DPI that hospital beds, bedside cupboards and other necessary items have been acquired to ensure isolated patients are housed comfortably.

READ ALSO

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

GRSI Makes Aviation History, Opens New Lifeline to Guyana’s Hinterland

Importantly, key utilities, which were not previously installed are expected to be fitted (by the close of today) to power the rooms in the isolation section. With this in place, the minister said that this particular section for isolation can be used as soon as possible.

“Our challenge has been electricity to the building, there was no connection to the main power supply and I have asked the ministers responsible for both electricity and water and they have been very responsive by speaking to their technical staff so I am optimistic that we will get electricity into the building today (Saturday).”

The Minister noted that with the isolation section up and running at the facility – with at least 47 beds – the burden will be removed from the Georgetown Public Hospital, allowing them to cater to more severe cases. It was disclosed that another section of the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention has been dedicated to housing pre- and post-natal maternity cases.

Some of the beds in the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (Source: MOH)

Director of Medical and Professional Services of the GPHC, Dr. Fawcett Jeffrey, who took the Health Minister and a team on a guided tour of the facility, explained that official capacity for the maternity section is 42 beds; however, that number can be increased since as much as two beds can be placed to a room.

Remaining works will continue and persons being housed there will not be in contact with staff working on site. He also said that GPHC has in place a skeleton staff that will attend to patients there. Providing details on phase two, Dr. Jeffrey said “we will start activating the intensive care unit and the high dependency unit which is called the HDU. But to do that we need to have piped oxygen, [therefore] we need to get equipment like ventilators, patient monitors and electrocardiograph machines and we would also like to have the operating suite ready and activated.”

According to Dr. Jeffrey, the current budget set aside only allows for phase one to be rolled out and indicated that phase two will progress over a three to four-month period. This will eventually see the complete facility being fully utilised.

Minister of Health, Dr. Frank Anthony being given a guided tour of the COVID-19 hospital by Director of Medical and Professional Services, Dr. Fawcett Jeffrey and CEO of the GPHC, Brigadier Retired George Lewis. Also, in the photo is Minister of Public Affairs within the Office of the Prime Minister, Hon. Kwame Mc Koy along with other from the GPHC. (DPI)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Sharma Solomon MP (APNU)
News

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

by Admin
August 21, 2026

More than two centuries after thousands of enslaved Africans rose against the brutal plantation system in Demerara, the legacy of...

Read moreDetails
News

GRSI Makes Aviation History, Opens New Lifeline to Guyana’s Hinterland

by Admin
August 21, 2026

A new chapter has opened in Guyana’s aviation history with Guyana Rotorcraft Services Inc. (GRSI) becoming the first domestic aviation...

Read moreDetails
2026 CSEC students (Ministry of Education photo)
News

CSEC Success Must Open Doors for Guyana’s Youth- PNCR/APNU

by Admin
August 21, 2026

The People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR), a major component of A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), has congratulated Guyanese students...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Some of the newly appointed REOs

Govt fires 7 REOs, retains three  


EDITOR'S PICK

ICC Board to discuss India and back-up plans for T20 World Cup 

May 22, 2021

Debate on local content policy is commendable

February 15, 2021

China ready to work with Arab countries for higher level community with shared future — Xi

May 16, 2024

Silence of Guyana Media on Police Overreach in Rickford Burke Case Raises Concerns for Democracy

December 21, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice