Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Former Suriname President Bouterse, missing after failing to turn himself in to prison

Wife of Dési Bouterse, sentenced last month to 20 years for 1982 killings of opponents, says ‘he’s not going to turn himself in’

Admin by Admin
January 13, 2024
in Global
Former Suriname President, Desi Bouterse (Associated Press/Edward Troon, file)

Former Suriname President, Desi Bouterse (Associated Press/Edward Troon, file)

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Surinamese authorities are searching for ex-president Dési Bouterse after he failed to turn himself in to start a prison sentence for involvement in the murder of 15 political opponents in 1982, the prosecutor general’s office said on Friday.

Bouterse was ordered this week to report to jail, but his wife, Ingrid Bouterse-Waldring, told journalists outside their home early on Friday: “He’s not going to turn himself in.”

READ ALSO

Chinese premier stresses promoting deep integration of AI, advanced manufacturing

Iran urges intl response to US demands

Authorities on Wednesday had ordered Bouterse and four others convicted in the case to report to various prisons by Friday. Only three have done so. They were in frail health and shuffled slowly toward a prison’s entrance as reporters followed them.

By late Friday afternoon, the 78-year-old Bouterse had not yet appeared, prompting the office of the prosecutor to issue a one-sentence statement saying they were investigating those who had not reported to jail.

Earlier, dozens of backers of Bouterse and the National Democratic party he chairs arrived at his house to show their support, with some yelling at journalists and playing loud music, prompting government officials to tighten security measures.

“All necessary steps will be taken to ensure that the safety of both those involved and the wider society is guaranteed,” the government said in a statement.

Spokesperson Ricardo Panka said the party disagreed with the sentencing and noted that Bouterse will remain as chair. But, he said, the crowd had been ordered to remain calm.

“We are not going to create an angry mob to go against the authorities,” he said.

Bouterse was sentenced on 20 December after being found guilty in the killings, ending a historic 16-year legal process. He had previously been sentenced in 2019 and 2021 but appealed both rulings.

A new team of lawyers filed an appeal on Monday against the sentencing on grounds that an amnesty law Bouterse unsuccessfully tried to push through more than a decade ago would apply, but Suriname’s attorney general rejected the move on Tuesday.

“The public prosecutor’s office has started the process of tracing those convicted in the December 8 criminal case who have not reported to the penal institution as stated in the order for execution of sentences,” the prosecutor’s office said in a statement.

Bouterse dominated politics in the former Dutch colony for decades and left office in 2020.

Bouterse led a bloodless coup to become dictator from 1980 to 1987. During that time, he and two dozen other suspects were accused of executing prominent people including lawyers, journalists and a university professor at a colonial fortress in the capital of Paramaribo.

Bouterse has accepted “political responsibility” for the 1982 killings but insists he was not present.

He was later democratically elected as president from 2010 to 2020. (The Guardian)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Chinese Premier Li Qiang, also a member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, visits a sci-tech enterprise during an inspection tour in Beijing, capital of China, May 18, 2026. (Xinhua/Huang Jingwen)
Global

Chinese premier stresses promoting deep integration of AI, advanced manufacturing

by Admin
May 18, 2026

BEIJING, May 18 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Premier Li Qiang on Monday emphasized efforts to promote deep integration of artificial intelligence...

Read moreDetails
[Photo/Agencies]
Global

Iran urges intl response to US demands

by Admin
May 18, 2026

Tehran has urged the international community to confront Washington's demands, while the United States warned Iran anew that it will...

Read moreDetails
WHO declares Ebola Global Health Emergency — No vaccine, No cure, No Excuse for Caribbean Complacency
Global

WHO declares Ebola Global Health Emergency — No vaccine, No cure, No Excuse for Caribbean Complacency

by Admin
May 18, 2026

A lethal Ebola strain with no approved treatment has broken containment in the DR Congo and crossed into Uganda. The...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

5-year-old recovering after undergoing surgery to remove warhead from throat


EDITOR'S PICK

Minister of Agriculture, Zulfikar Mustapha, UN Resident Coordinator in Guyana, Yesim Oruc, NAREI’s CEO, Jagnarine Singh, British High Commissioner, Jane Miller, EMC’s Managing Director, Shyam Nokta, other representatives and staff of the ministry

Over $500M invested to restore, develop Guyana’s mangrove ecosystem

July 31, 2023
Attorney-at-law Eusi Anderson (Photo credit- Eusi Anderson webpage)

Attorney Anderson Calls for Cool Heads as US Indicts Mohameds, Extradition Law Faces Scrutiny

October 7, 2025

Teen stabbed to death by stepfather

January 27, 2022

WORD OF THE DAY: GALUMPH

July 9, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice