Saturday, August 22, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

WHO head tells countries to prepare for more hantavirus cases

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus praises Spain’s ‘compassion and solidarity’ in evacuating virus-hit cruise ship

Admin by Admin
May 12, 2026
in Global
People wearing protective suits walk towards the MV Hondius as it was docked in port in Tenerife on Monday. Photograph: Jorge Guerrero/AFP/Getty Images

People wearing protective suits walk towards the MV Hondius as it was docked in port in Tenerife on Monday. Photograph: Jorge Guerrero/AFP/Getty Images

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The head of the World Health Organization has told countries to prepare for more hantavirus cases after the outbreak onboard the MV Hondius, and thanked Spain for the “compassion and solidarity” it had shown by taking in the stricken cruise ship and evacuating its passengers and crew.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged countries to follow the WHO’s advice and recommendations, which include a 42-day quarantine and constant monitoring of high-risk contacts.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

“At the moment, there is no sign that we are seeing the start of a larger outbreak, but of course the situation could change and, given the long incubation period of the virus, it’s possible we might see more cases in the coming weeks,” he told a press conference in Madrid on Tuesday.

The MV Hondius, which was sailing from Argentina to Cape Verde, found itself at the centre of the outbreak after three passengers – a Dutch couple and a German national – died from the virus. Although usually spread by wild rodents, hantavirus can be transmitted person-to-person in rare cases of close contact.

The WHO has so far confirmed nine cases of the Andes variant of the virus, among them a French woman and a US national who tested positive after being evacuated from the ship.

The Spanish health ministry said on Tuesday that one of the 14 Spaniards evacuated from the ship and put in quarantine at a military hospital in Madrid had tested positive for hantavirus and was showing symptoms.

“The patient who tested provisionally positive yesterday has been confirmed positive for hantavirus,” it said in a statement. “The patient presented with a low-grade fever and mild respiratory symptoms yesterday, but is currently stable and shows no evident clinical deterioration.”

Pedro Sánchez (left) and Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus shake hands after their joint press conference in Madrid on Tuesday. Photograph: Anadolu/Getty Images

Tedros, who was speaking alongside Spain’s prime minister, Pedro Sánchez, said more cases were likely to appear because of the degree of interaction between the passengers onboard the ship before the alarm was raised and the first case confirmed in a passenger on 2 May.

“We would expect more cases because, as you may remember, the index case – the first case in the ship was on 6 April … [and] there was a lot of interaction, actually, with the passengers. And as you know, the incubation period is also six to eight weeks.

“So because of the interaction while they were still in the ship – especially before they started taking some infectious prevention measures – because of the interaction, we would expect more cases because of some of what happened during the travel.”

Tedros said individual countries were now responsible for their citizens after the evacuation, adding: “I hope they will take care of the patients and the passengers, helping them and also protecting their citizens as well. That’s what we expect.”

The WHO chief also paid tribute to the Spanish government and the people of Spain for responding to the plight of those onboard the ship after authorities in Cape Verde refused it permission to dock. More than 120 passengers and crew members were evacuated from Tenerife in a carefully coordinated operation on Sunday and Monday.

“I’d like to thank Spain and, especially, Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, for the outstanding leadership and coordination,” he said. “I know this is a model – and I hope other countries also learn from this – not just the obligation part but the compassion and solidarity that Spain has shown.” In a “divided and divisive world”, he added, “kindness and taking care of each other” were important.

Sánchez echoed the sentiment, saying: “This world doesn’t need more selfishness, nor more fear. What it needs is countries that show solidarity and want to move forward.”

Passengers evacuated from the cruise ship arrive at Eindhoven airbase in the Netherlands on Monday night. Photograph: Piroschka Van De Wouw/Reuters

The prime minister also offered his condolences once again to the family of a Guardia Civil officer who died of a heart attack while taking part in the evacuation on Sunday.

Despite objections from the regional government of the Canary Islands, Spain’s central government allowed the MV Hondius to anchor in port in Tenerife – and then, briefly, to dock – as it oversaw the evacuation operation.

The final two planes carrying passengers and crew left the Canary island on Monday night and arrived in the Netherlands early on Tuesday. The MV Hondius, which refuelled and restocked in Tenerife, is now sailing back to port in Rotterdam with a crew of 25 as well as a doctor and nurse.

The Guardian

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

WORD OF THE DAY: CATERCORNER


EDITOR'S PICK

West Indies got much needed time in the middle on the final day of their four-day, first-class match against the Australia Prime Minister’s XI on Saturday night at Manuka Oval in Canberra.  Tagenarine Chanderpaul top-scored with 56, leading the touring side’s pursuit of a target of 309, which also saw Devon Thomas punch a confident 55 and wicketkeeper Joshua Da Silva, a confident unbeaten 52. Chanderpaul’s knock came on the heels of his first innings 119 and earned him Player-of-the-Match award.  West Indies appeared poised to win the day/night contest at 177-3 but lost a cluster of wickets to see their challenge derailed, finishing on 277-8.  The left-handed Chanderpaul carried his side’s chase, stroking five fours and a six off 138 balls as he put on 46 for the second wicket with Nkrumah Bonner (12) and a further 34 for the third wicket with Thomas whose 93-ball innings included four fours and a six.  Chanderpaul was eventually third out, left-arm seamer Joel Paris earning an lbw decision against him, but Thomas picked up the mantle, adding 58 for the fourth wicket with left-hander Kyle Mayers (20).  The unflappable Da Silva then anchored perhaps the key stand of the innings when he posted 48 for the seventh wicket with Alzarri Joseph, whose 31 came from 73 balls and included four fours and a six.  Da Silva faced 124 balls and counted half-dozen fours in the partnership which took crucial time out of the final session and frustrated the hosts.  By the time Joseph steered pacer Mark Steketee (3-56) to gully and Kemar Roach gloved the same bowler to first slip 11 balls later without scoring, the end was already in sight and Da Silva partnered with the injured Raymon Reifer (0 not out) to keep out the last 55 balls of the match.  West Indies will play the first Test against Australia at the Perth Stadium in Western Australia from 30 November to December 4. The second Test will be at the Adelaide Oval in South Australia from 8 to 12 December. This will be a day/night fixture played under lights. It will be the first pink ball Test for West Indies in Australia. The two teams will compete for the prestigious Sir Frank Worrell trophy.  Full Squad: Kraigg Brathwaite (Captain), Jermaine Blackwood (Vice Captain), Nkrumah Bonner, Shamarh Brooks, Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Roston Chase, Joshua Da Silva, Jason Holder, Alzarri Joseph, Kyle Mayers, Anderson Phillip, Raymon Reifer, Kemar Roach, Jayden Seales, Devon Thomas  Full Tour Schedule  30 November to 4 December: 1st Test at Perth Stadium, Perth  8-12 December: 2nd Test at Adelaide Oval, Adelaide (day/night)  (Windies Cricket News)

Batters Get In The Groove, Set Sight on 1st Test

November 27, 2022
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., speaks during a news conference on the Epstein Files Transparency Act, Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2025, outside the U.S. Capitol in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

Congress acts swiftly to force release of Epstein files, and Trump agrees to sign bill

November 19, 2025
L-R Justice Yonette Cummings-Edwards, Dr. Vincent Adams, Justice Sandil Kissoon

Lall Links Cummings-Edwards’ Exit to Wider Pattern of Talent Loss and Political Control

April 4, 2026

14 COVID-19 cases detected in Warapoka

November 14, 2020

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice