Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

Persad-Bissessar Wins CARICOM Backing to Challenge Barnett Reappointment Process

Admin by Admin
July 8, 2026
in Regional
L-R  CARICOM Secretary General Dr. Carla Barnett, Prime Minister Trinidad and Tobago Kamla Persad-Bissessar

L-R CARICOM Secretary General Dr. Carla Barnett, Prime Minister Trinidad and Tobago Kamla Persad-Bissessar

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has succeeded in persuading Caribbean leaders to break with CARICOM’s longstanding practice on the reappointment of its Secretary-General, securing agreement to refer the controversial process that granted Dr. Carla Barnett a second term to the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) for an advisory opinion.

The decision marks a significant political victory for Persad-Bissessar, who has waged a sustained campaign against the process used to renew Barnett’s appointment, arguing that it breached the governance provisions of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas. While her government has insisted its objection is procedural rather than personal, the referral effectively places Barnett’s second term under legal scrutiny and reopens an issue that had appeared settled following the February Conference of Heads of Government.

READ ALSO

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

Announcing the decision on Tuesday, Persad-Bissessar said CARICOM Heads unanimously accepted Trinidad and Tobago’s proposal to seek the CCJ’s interpretation under Article 212 of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas.

“I am pleased to announce that today [Tuesday, July 7] the Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) accepted and approved my proposals relating to issues surrounding the Re-appointment of the Secretary-General,” she said.

Barnett, a Belizean economist, became CARICOM’s eighth Secretary-General in August 2021. Earlier this year, Heads of Government agreed to renew her appointment for a second five-year term, continuing what has long been an established practice within CARICOM of extending the tenure of serving Secretaries-General by consensus.

That convention, however, came under challenge after Persad-Bissessar’s return to office in Trinidad and Tobago. Her administration objected to the manner in which Barnett’s reappointment was approved during the February Heads of Government meeting in St. Kitts and Nevis, contending that the issue was discussed during a private retreat after Trinidad and Tobago’s delegation had departed and without adhering to the formal procedures prescribed by the treaty.

During Monday’s Heads of Government retreat in Saint Lucia, Persad-Bissessar said she “steadfastly maintained Trinidad and Tobago’s objections to the process used in the reappointment of the Secretary-General” and urged leaders to seek the CCJ’s guidance.

Article 212 of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas allows CARICOM to request advisory opinions from the CCJ on questions involving the interpretation and application of the treaty.

The decision represents an unprecedented step for the regional bloc. Rather than allowing the reappointment to stand under established convention, Heads of Government have agreed to invite the CCJ to determine whether the procedures used complied with the treaty, a move that could redefine how future appointments to CARICOM’s highest administrative office are handled.

Persad-Bissessar has repeatedly maintained that her objection is directed at the process rather than Barnett herself, arguing that adherence to the Community’s legal framework is essential to preserving confidence in its institutions.

Barnett’s reappointment also attracted concern from Jamaica, with Prime Minister Andrew Holness writing to CARICOM Chairman Philip J. Pierre urging that procedural questions be addressed to safeguard the credibility of the regional body. While Jamaica did not oppose Barnett’s continued tenure, Holness argued that the issues raised warranted careful consideration in the interest of institutional integrity.

Persad-Bissessar thanked her regional counterparts for supporting Trinidad and Tobago’s proposal.

“I wish to thank my fellow Colleague Heads for supporting Trinidad and Tobago’s proposals which were viewed as consistent with CARICOM’s commitment to the highest standards of good governance and institutional improvement; principles which I have always championed as necessary for the future of CARICOM.“

She also praised CARICOM Chairman and Saint Lucia Prime Minister Philip J. Pierre for steering leaders toward consensus.

“This outcome is a testament to the Chairmanship of CARICOM by the Honourable Philip J. Pierre, Prime Minister of Saint Lucia, who facilitated consensus and the opportunity for the region to move forward in unity, to advance the well-being of all the people of CARICOM.”

The referral to the CCJ marks a significant departure from how leadership transitions have traditionally been managed within CARICOM. For decades, appointments and reappointments of Secretaries-General have largely been resolved through political consensus among Heads of Government. By agreeing to seek judicial interpretation of the treaty, regional leaders have elevated what began as a procedural disagreement into a legal question with potentially far-reaching implications for CARICOM’s governance.

Whatever the CCJ ultimately decides, the court’s opinion is expected to establish an important precedent for the interpretation of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas and the future appointment of the Community’s senior officials. The ruling could not only determine the legality of the process that secured Barnett’s second term but also reshape the balance between political consensus and treaty compliance within CARICOM’s decision-making framework.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

St. Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) in Santa Cruz, St. Elizabeth, suffered extensive structural damage following the passage of the powerful Category 5 Hurricane Melissa.
Regional

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The Ministry of Education, Skills, Youth and Information is preparing contingency plans, including rotating students on alternate days, for schools...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Former Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago government to disclose how many nationals have...

Read moreDetails
From left: Newly appointed Bank of Jamaica Governor, Dr Brian Langrin and outgoing BOJ Governor Richard Byles.
Regional

JAMAICA | BOJ Governor Byles Bows Out. Langrin Takes Over on Wednesday.

by Admin
August 18, 2026

After seven years that carried Jamaica from a pandemic to an 11.8 per cent price spike and back inside the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Altaf King

AFC Youth Arm Rejects Police Probe into Teen's Death, Demands Independent Investigation


EDITOR'S PICK

A railway bridge is destroyed by floodwater in Shijiazhuang, North China's Hebei province, July 31. [Photo/CFP]

Detention limits flood havoc

August 5, 2023
US Passport (Google Photo)

Sen. Moreno Introduces Bill That Would Eliminate Dual Citizenship

December 2, 2025

Group to host the webinar on CARICOM Relations with the UK-EU

February 5, 2023
Wally Adeyemo

Pandemic aid to poorest countries critical to U.S. interests: Treasury nominee Adeyemo 

February 24, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice