Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Belgium appeals against FIFA’s decision to let US striker Balogun play despite red card

Admin by Admin
July 7, 2026
in Sports
United States' Folarin Balogun (R) fouls Bosnia and Herzegovina's Tarik Muharemovic during the World Cup round of 32 soccer match between the United States and Bosnia in Santa Clara, California, US, July 1, 2026. /VCG

United States' Folarin Balogun (R) fouls Bosnia and Herzegovina's Tarik Muharemovic during the World Cup round of 32 soccer match between the United States and Bosnia in Santa Clara, California, US, July 1, 2026. /VCG

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Royal Belgian Football Association (RBFA) has lodged an appeal against FIFA’s decision to grant US star forward Folarin Balogun permission to play against the Red Devils despite a red card, less than 24 hours out from the team’s Round of 16 game against the United States.

Balogun was shown a red card during the United States’ Round of 32 match against Bosnia and Herzegovina on Wednesday for stepping on the right foot of Tarik Muharemovic, triggering an automatic one-game suspension. However, FIFA announced on Sunday that the ban had been suspended, a ruling that immediately sparked widespread debate and a strong reaction from the RBFA.

READ ALSO

TRIDENTS STORM TO THE TOP WITH WIN OVER KINGS

BRAVO AND BISHOP INDUCTED INTO CPL HALL OF FAME

The RBFA said in a statement the move was in “direct contradiction” of the competition regulations and said it is exploring “all potential options.”

According to reports, FIFA has classified the correspondence from the RBFA as a formal appeal and has appointed a member of the FIFA Appeal Committee to hear the case on an urgent basis, though there is no guarantee a ruling will be made before the FIFA World Cup 2026 Round of 16 match between the US and Belgium at Seattle Stadium.

The RBFA is currently preparing the relevant documentation to challenge FIFA’s decision. However, as of now, the association has not yet formally received written notification from FIFA regarding the decision to overturn the red card.

Both the RBFA and US Soccer were reportedly asked to submit their arguments by 5 a.m. Pacific Time, just 12 hours before the scheduled kick-off.

Referee Raphael Claus of Brazil shows Folarin Balogun a red card during the World Cup round of 32 soccer match between the United States and Bosnia in Santa Clara, California, US, July 1, 2026. /VCG

Suspension lifted after Trump’s call

US President Donald Trump reportedly intervened in support of Balogun, allowing him to play against Belgium in Monday’s FIFA World Cup match.

Trump called Gianni Infantino, FIFA’s president, in the hours after the match and asked him to review Balogun’s suspension, The New York Times reported, citing four people familiar with the conversation.

In a press release on Monday, FIFA said Balogun will be available to play in the co-host’s FIFA World Cup 2026 Round of 16 match against Belgium.

By operation of Article 27 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code (FDC), the automatic match suspension for Balogun has been suspended for a probationary period of one year, it said.

The FDC’s Article 27 allows FIFA’s judicial body to fully or partially suspend the implementation of a disciplinary measure.

“Thank you to FIFA for doing what was right and reversing a great injustice!” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

The reversal is highly unusual and is the first time since 1962 that FIFA has allowed a player to appear in a game after being sent off in the World Cup, according to The New York Times.

UEFA condemns FIFA for lifting Balogun’s suspension

European football’s governing body, UEFA, on Monday strongly criticized FIFA’s decision.

In a statement published Monday, UEFA said FIFA’s decision “to suspend for a probationary period of a year the implementation of the one-match automatic suspension following the red card issued to the player Folarin Balogun crossed a red line.”

“Football, like any other sport, relies on rules, which are the basis for fair, honest and transparent competition. Sometimes rules are open to interpretation. In this case, not,” UEFA said.

It added that “a minimum automatic suspension of one match following a red card is not a discretionary option and does not require the decision of a competent body to be enacted. It is a principle embedded in regulations, which cannot be made subject to exceptions, let alone in the middle of a tournament where several other players have been in the same situation and regularly served their suspension.”

UEFA said football’s global appeal rests on the consistent application of its laws.

“Football is the most loved sport in the world because it is a beautiful game and is trusted because it is played everywhere with the same laws,” the statement said, warning that “the integrity of the game is at stake and the credibility of a competition is undermined” by what it called FIFA’s “unprecedented, incomprehensible and unjustifiable decision.”

(With input from agencies)

CGTN

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Sports

TRIDENTS STORM TO THE TOP WITH WIN OVER KINGS

by Admin
August 17, 2026

Barbados Tridents remained unbeaten in the Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL) 2026 with a nine-run victory over the Saint...

Read moreDetails
Sports

BRAVO AND BISHOP INDUCTED INTO CPL HALL OF FAME

by Admin
August 17, 2026

CPL icons to be honoured at Hall of Fame Gala Dinner in Barbados on Tuesday 15 September, with proceeds supporting...

Read moreDetails
Sports

Unbeaten Trinidad & Tobago Crowned CWI Rising Stars Women’s Under-19 Champions

by Admin
August 17, 2026

ST JOHN’S, Antigua- Trinidad & Tobago were crowned champions of the Cricket West Indies (CWI) Rising Stars Women’s Under-19 Championship after...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

University of Guyana Opens Applications for 2nd Phase for New Academic Year- from July 8 to August 17


EDITOR'S PICK

IMAGE COPYRIGHTREUTERS

Brexit: New era for UK as it completes separation from European Union

January 1, 2021

Biden targets Latin America reset at summit marred by invite tension

June 5, 2022

What is The Nobel Peace Prize

October 13, 2025
Ronald Austin Jr

IS THIS THE DEMOCRACY YOU WANT? YES. IT IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE

January 17, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice