Monday, August 17, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Mohamed Recommends Three New Opposition Commissioners to Ali

Admin by Admin
July 3, 2026
in News
L-R President Irfaan Ali and Leader of the Opposition Azruddin Mohamed

L-R President Irfaan Ali and Leader of the Opposition Azruddin Mohamed

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Leader of the Opposition Azruddin Mohamed has formally written to President Mohamed Irfaan Ali, advising him of his decision to nominate three attorneys to serve as the parliamentary opposition’s representatives on the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM), as a constitutional dispute continues over whether the existing opposition-appointed commissioners remain in office.

The nominees are Senior Counsel Roysdale Forde, attorney Siand Dhurjon and attorney Damien DaSilva.

Opposition Chief Whip Tabitha Sarabo-Halley confirmed to Kaieteur News that Mohamed’s letter was dispatched to the President on Tuesday after he completed consultations with opposition stakeholders.

READ ALSO

A Rooftop System for Every Guyanese Household Costs Between US$486 Million and US$1.27 Billion. The Gas Programme Costs at Least US$1 Billion.

Pastor Collins urges stronger gambling regulation to protect vulnerable communities

She explained that while the Opposition Leader initiated consultations by writing to opposition leaders, including Aubrey Norton, chairman of the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) and Amanza Walton, leader of the Forward Guyana Movement (FGM) and its lone Member of Parliament, he ultimately retained the three nominees he had initially proposed.

“We had to go through the process of consultation, so that letter that was sent to Mr. [Aubrey] Norton and to Amanza [Walton] was to start the consultation process,” Sarabo-Halley told Kaieteur News.

She said that although Mohamed invited recommendations from the parliamentary opposition and considered Walton’s proposal, he decided to proceed with his original slate of nominees.

Walton had nominated Nigel London on behalf of the Forward Guyana Movement.

According to Sarabo-Halley, the Opposition is now awaiting the President’s response before deciding on its next course of action.

Mohamed first signalled his intention last month when he wrote to opposition leaders advising them that he was considering recommending the three attorneys to represent the parliamentary opposition on GECOM and invited them to submit their views.

In his correspondence, Mohamed argued that the matter requires urgent attention given GECOM’s constitutional responsibility to conduct Local Government Elections at the earliest opportunity.

He also cited Article 161(3)(b) of the Constitution, arguing that the Opposition Leader’s advisory role is intended to ensure that the parliamentary opposition enjoys meaningful representation and confidence within the Elections Commission.

“The constitutional purpose would be substantially undermined if the largest parliamentary opposition were indefinitely bound by appointments purportedly made at the instance of the former opposition leadership representing a different political mandate,” Mohamed wrote.

He further stated that he has received legal advice that the tenure of the three opposition-appointed commissioners has effectively come to an end following the 2025 General and Regional Elections, which fundamentally altered the composition of the parliamentary opposition.

According to Mohamed, the Constitution contemplates that the offices of the opposition-appointed commissioners have become vacant “by operation of law” because of the new parliamentary configuration.

He noted that the current opposition commissioners—Vincent Alexander, Charles Corbin and Desmond Trotman—were nominated by a previous Leader of the Opposition representing a different political party and political mandate.

“The appointments of the previous commissioners… were advised upon by the previous opposition leader from a different political party, and they do not reflect the makeup of the opposition’s parliamentary configuration at present,” Mohamed stated.

The nominations follow earlier comments by GECOM Chairperson, retired Justice Claudette Singh, who indicated that she was awaiting action from the Leader of the Opposition before the Commission could move forward with a full complement of opposition-appointed members.

Speaking to Kaieteur News in May, Singh said she had informed Mohamed that he needed to submit the names of his nominees.

“The new opposition leader has not yet… We told him, you have to submit the names of your commissioners. He has not done so,” she said at the time.

Singh added that Mohamed had indicated he already had persons in mind for the appointments but had not formally submitted the names.

“We’re waiting on him. He has the names as commissioners,” she said.

The issue arose after the 2025 General and Regional Elections, in which We Invest in Nationhood (WIN) won 16 of the Opposition’s 29 seats in the National Assembly, making it the largest opposition party. Mohamed subsequently assumed the constitutional office of Leader of the Opposition.

However, Aubrey Norton has rejected Mohamed’s position, maintaining that there are no vacancies among the opposition-appointed commissioners.

“As I have said before, no vacancy exists, as far as I am aware. Unless the current commissioners die or resign, those seats are filled,” Norton said.

He has argued that there is no constitutional or legal basis for requiring the existing opposition-appointed commissioners to vacate their positions solely because a different political party now constitutes the parliamentary opposition.

President Ali has not publicly indicated whether he will act on Mohamed’s nominations.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

News

A Rooftop System for Every Guyanese Household Costs Between US$486 Million and US$1.27 Billion. The Gas Programme Costs at Least US$1 Billion.

by Admin
August 17, 2026

By LCN Newsroom — Energy and Trade La Caribeña News · 17 August 2026 In short. Guyana has 271,946 households on...

Read moreDetails
News

Pastor Collins urges stronger gambling regulation to protect vulnerable communities

by Admin
August 17, 2026

Pastor Daniel Collins of Helping Others Ministry is backing stronger regulation of Guyana’s gambling industry, warning that easier access to...

Read moreDetails
Minister of Human Services and Social Security  Dr. Vindhya Persaud
News

Online counselling platform for MV Barima-affected families to be launched

by Admin
August 17, 2026

The Ministry of Human Services and Social Security will this week launch EMBRACE, a national online counselling platform, as part...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
US celebrates its 250th Independence Anniversary celebrations

Guyana Reaffirms Strategic Partnership as US Marks 250 Years of Independence


EDITOR'S PICK

Iwokrama and ExxonMobil Guyana officials examine the state of the art drone to be deployed in the Iwokrama Forest. 
L to R: Suzanne De Abreu (Community Relations Manager – ExxonMobil Guyana, Deedra Moe (Senior Director Public and Government Affairs – ExxonMobil Guyana), Dane Gobin (CEO of Iwokrama), Julian Cadogan (Drone Pilot) and Lance Khan (Guyana Drone Operators Association).

Iwokrama forest being remotely monitored by drone technology

October 12, 2020

Mayors up call for swearing-in of Granger

June 30, 2020

PPP/C’s ‘transformative projects’ do not translate into tangible benefits to improve lives of ordinary citizens

September 14, 2023
JAMAICA'S Food Security Crisis: When Demographic Winter Meets Farm-Workers Drought

JAMAICA’S Food Security Crisis: When Demographic Winter Meets Farm-Workers Drought

October 8, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice