Saturday, August 22, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

France, UK to cohost talks on Hormuz

Admin by Admin
April 16, 2026
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

French President Emmanuel Macron and the United Kingdom’s Prime Minister Keir Starmer will cohost a video-conference with international leaders on Friday, aiming to chart a plan to secure the Strait of Hormuz.

The office of the French president said it would lead talks on a “multilateral and purely defensive mission” to restore freedom of navigation in the strait when security conditions allow.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

The statement said “nonbelligerent” countries willing to contribute to the mission would take part, though names of other participating countries were not specified.

A spokesperson for the UK prime minister’s office said: “The summit will advance work toward a coordinated, independent, multinational plan to safeguard international shipping once the conflict ends.”

In a social media post, Starmer said Britain had convened “more than 40 nations who share our aim to restore freedom of navigation”.

“The ongoing closure of the Strait of Hormuz is deeply damaging. Getting global shipping moving is vital to easing cost-of-living pressures,” Starmer said.

Earlier in the week, Macron said on X that the initiative would aim to establish a “peaceful multinational mission” to secure maritime routes through the strategic waterway, stressing it will be “strictly defensive” and separate from the parties to the conflict. He said the mission would be deployed “as soon as circumstances permit”.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot told Radio France Internationale on Tuesday that “several dozen countries” had already taken part in “preparatory work led in particular by the chiefs of staff to define the framework for such a mission”. “It is a matter of coordinating with the coastal states,” he added.

The announcement came after US President Donald Trump said a blockade on Iranian ports would take effect on Monday.

US-Israeli strikes on Iran have set off a region-wide war that has choked traffic through the strait, a vital artery for global oil and gas.

The US announcement of a naval blockade came after weekend talks between Washington and Tehran in Pakistan, aiming to end the war that began on Feb 28, collapsed.

The United Nations maritime agency’s chief said on Monday that no nation has the legal right to close the Strait of Hormuz.

“In accordance with international law, no country has the right to prohibit the right of innocent passage or the freedom of navigation through international straits that are used for international transit,” Secretary-General Arsenio Dominguez, head of the International Maritime Organization, told a news conference.

“De-escalation is what is going to start helping us address the crisis and bring shipping back to the way that we used to operate,” he added.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
The Strait of Hormuz is a critical waterway between the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman

Govt moves to cushion effects of global supply shocks – Pres Ali


EDITOR'S PICK

Guyana Teachers Union President Coretta McDonald M.P

Empowering Unity and Overcoming Challenges: Calls from the 5th Triennial Congress of the Guyana Trade Union Congress

November 13, 2023

What skills do today’s students need to prepare them to contribute meaningfully to Guyana’s 21st century economy?

April 24, 2022

Caribbean Heads Concerned over manner of suspension of CDB President Gene Leon

February 29, 2024

How did the Netherlands drug kingpin enter Guyana and stayed so long?

March 21, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice