Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

At least 12 dead as floods devastate Northwest Haiti

Admin by Admin
April 16, 2026
in Regional
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Haitian authorities on Wednesday confirmed that at least 12 people have died after flood waters struck the country’s Northwest Department earlier this week.

According to a preliminary report from the Departmental Directorate of Civil Protection, heavy rains between April 11 and 13 caused widespread devastation in the municipalities of Port-de-Paix, Saint-Louis du Nord, and Anse-à-Foleur.

READ ALSO

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

Authorities said the torrential rains caused several rivers to overflow their banks, including the Rivière des Trois Rivières, plunging affected communities into a critical emergency situation. Officials warned that the situation could worsen if rainfall continues.

The Civil Protection Directorate said 12 people died in landslides or were swept away by floodwaters in rural sections of Saint-Louis du Nord. Several serious injuries have also been reported.

Authorities also reported that several people remain missing, including fishermen and residents of riverside communities in Anse-à-Foleur.

More than 2,500 families have been directly affected by the flooding, with many residents forced to abandon their homes and seek refuge with relatives or in temporary shelters.

Local authorities have appealed to the central government for urgent assistance, saying food rations, drinking water, hygiene kits, and sanitation equipment are needed to prevent a potential health crisis.

Preliminary assessments indicate that approximately 1,200 homes have been flooded. Schools and health centres in the three communes have also been inundated with mud, making them inaccessible and disrupting essential services.

Authorities further reported that hundreds of livestock were swept away by the floods, representing a catastrophic financial loss for small farmers in the affected communities.

caribbeannationalweekly.com

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

St. Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) in Santa Cruz, St. Elizabeth, suffered extensive structural damage following the passage of the powerful Category 5 Hurricane Melissa.
Regional

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The Ministry of Education, Skills, Youth and Information is preparing contingency plans, including rotating students on alternate days, for schools...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Former Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago government to disclose how many nationals have...

Read moreDetails
From left: Newly appointed Bank of Jamaica Governor, Dr Brian Langrin and outgoing BOJ Governor Richard Byles.
Regional

JAMAICA | BOJ Governor Byles Bows Out. Langrin Takes Over on Wednesday.

by Admin
August 18, 2026

After seven years that carried Jamaica from a pandemic to an 11.8 per cent price spike and back inside the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

2026 WEST INDIES CHAMPIONSHIP: ROUND 1 RECAP


EDITOR'S PICK

Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi

China navigates complex international issues, striking balance in major-country diplomacy in 2023

December 25, 2022
New York Attorney General Letitia James (left) and Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg, (right)

USA | Trump Shatters Democratic Norms with Vindictive Security Clearance Purge

March 23, 2025

National Schools’ Table Tennis Championship launched

December 21, 2023
WIN Team- Far right Prime Ministerial Candidate Tabitha Sarabo-Halley (HGPTV photo)

WIN Candidate Claims Deliberate Blocking of Polling Agents in Georgetown

September 1, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice