Saturday, August 22, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Venezuela’s repressive State apparatus ‘intact’ despite leadership change

Admin by Admin
March 13, 2026
in Global
© UNICEF/Gustavo Vera A view of Caracas, the capital of Venezuela.

© UNICEF/Gustavo Vera A view of Caracas, the capital of Venezuela.

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(United Nations)-Venezuela’s repressive State apparatus remains operational despite the seizure of former President Nicolás Maduro by United States forces on 3 January, according to independent UN human rights investigators.

“The structures that have sustained persecution for years have not been dismantled, nor have State policies been announced to begin that process”, the International Fact-Finding Mission for Venezuela said in a statement released on Wednesday.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

Since Maduro’s seizure on 3 January, the Human Rights Council-appointed investigators have received reports of at least 87 new politically motivated detentions, indicating that the practice of silencing dissent persists under the current Government.

“New instances of human rights violations are a sober reminder that the extensive legal and institutional machinery that has facilitated the commission of gross human rights violations and international crimes remain intact,” independent expert María Eloisa Quintero said.

‘No signs’ of change

Government and military officials that had previously been identified by the UN probe as responsible for crimes against humanity continue to hold power. “There are no signs that the current authorities intend to bring those individuals to justice,” said Alex Neve, another expert member.

“Venezuela cannot be said to truly be on the road to human rights reform unless and until that repressive apparatus is dismantled,” Ms. Quintero said.

Prisoner releases

An amnesty law aimed at granting immediate clemency to people jailed for participating in political protests or criticizing public figures was adopted on 20 February and “welcomed” by the UN commission of experts.

The amnesty is aimed at promoting peace, democratic coexistence and national reconciliation in the South American country. 

According to international media reports, between Maduro’s arrest and early March, some 621 political prisoners have been released. 

‘Concern’ over amnesty law

Nonetheless, a large number of individuals remain detained for political reasons and there is “concern about the lack of transparency with which this process is being carried out,” said Ms. Quintero. 

The Mission noted that the legislation was adopted without inclusive public consultation, and lacks essential mechanisms for truth, accountability and reparation. 

“It is incumbent on the authorities to provide detailed information on the number and identity of prisoners and those released. We call for the immediate release of all remaining political detainees, including dozens of foreign and dual nationals,” the Mission urged. 

Investigators also expressed concern over the continued mobilization of armed civilian groups, and the ongoing harassment of opposition figures and journalists.

‘Crucial moment for victims’

“The international community must maintain its focus on Venezuela to ensure that there is a transition in the country that leads to genuine institutional reform and an end to the culture of fear”, the mission said.

With more than 8.7 million Venezuelans, including thousands of refugees, living outside the country today, “this is also a crucial moment for victims,” investigators underscored.

“Now more than ever it is necessary to advance this investigative work and identify the patterns, actors, institutions and alleged perpetrators associated with these violations.” Ms. Quintero said.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
L-R Sir Clive Lloyd and WI Captain Daren Sammy

Lloyd Says Sammy Needs More Help in West Indies Coaching Role


EDITOR'S PICK

Op-Ed: Exxon’s Dark Shadow Over Guyana–Beyond the Barrel

February 9, 2024

Three-day programme for preparing for the rollout of the renewed curriculum being hosted at NCERD

May 24, 2022
Buddhist monks on a “Walk for Peace” walk on Veterans Parkway in Fayetteville, Ga., on Monday, Dec. 29, 2025, from Texas to Washington, D.C. (Arvin Temkar/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)

Buddhist monks persist in peace walk despite injuries as thousands follow them on social media

January 1, 2026

Former PNP MP Jolyan Silvera pleads guilty to manslaughter in wife’s death

February 2, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice