Saturday, August 22, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

Haiti PM says elections expected by year’s end

Admin by Admin
February 27, 2026
in Regional
Haitian Prime MInister Alix Didier Fils-Aime

Haitian Prime MInister Alix Didier Fils-Aime

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Haitian Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé says law enforcement authorities are making “some serious inroads” into gang-controlled areas and remains confident that national elections can be held before the end of the year.

Speaking to the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) on the margins of the CARICOM leaders’ summit, Fils-Aimé said security forces have begun regaining territory in the capital.

READ ALSO

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

“We are regaining parts of Port-au-Prince, parts that were under gang control and are back under police and state control,” he said.

Haiti has not held national elections since 2016, when Jovenel Moïse was elected president. Moïse was assassinated at his private residence overlooking the capital in July 2021. An interim administration has governed the country since then, with no national polls held since April 2024.

According to the United Nations Security Council, gang violence has displaced more than 1.5 million people and resulted in over 8,100 deaths during the first 11 months of last year alone.

The UN is transitioning the Kenya-led multinational mission into a 5,500-member Gang Suppression Force (GSF) to support Haiti’s national police in securing the capital and critical infrastructure.

Fils-Aimé outlined a three-phase security strategy approved by the Council of Ministers. The first phase involves coordinated operations by the police, army and the UN-backed GSF to confront armed gangs. The second phase centers on the justice system, with arrests, prosecutions and imprisonment for those responsible for violence.

The third phase, he said, focuses on reintegration efforts for young people recruited into gangs.

“Those people…whether they are men, boys, young girls, they need to be taken to centres that are ready, and we are starting to finance them with the help of UNICEF, and that’s where we will take those kids, give them a job, and get them reinserted into society,” he said. “Justice is necessary for us to get security, and we are working on it.”

The prime minister said Haiti recently reached what he described as a key political milestone, with most major political parties signing an accord aimed at ensuring stability and committing to participate in elections.

“We are heading to the elections, we have found an agreement between Haitians, and we have decided that we are moving forward,” he said. “We are expecting that by the end of the year, we will be ready to host the first round of the elections.”

On February 7, the mandate of the Provisional Transitional Council came to an end. The United States has since signaled its readiness to work with the prime minister and the Council of Ministers to stabilize the country, alongside support from the European Union and Canada.

Fils-Aimé acknowledged allegations of corruption involving some former members of the transitional presidential council but noted that the claims were not directed at him.

“We are a country where we respect the rule of law and every single one of them will have to answer to the law,” he said.

He also addressed the stalled prosecution in Haiti related to Moïse’s assassination, noting that investigations are ongoing both locally and in the United States, including proceedings involving the FBI.

“Justice sometimes takes a little time, but justice will be served,” he said.

Under the terms of the political pact, Fils-Aimé will not be permitted to contest the upcoming elections.

“Unfortunately, I cannot be a candidate,” he said. “I will be an impartial player, I will be the judge to make sure that elections are fair, free so that the people of Haiti can choose who they want as their leader.”

caribbeannationalweekly.com

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Regional

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Ten months after Melissa, Hanover families are still without homes. A CARICOM neighbour manufactures the answer in hardwood — and...

Read moreDetails
Clare Browne
Regional

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Director of Education Clare Browne says he has mixed feelings about CXC’s decision to remove school-based assessments from several subjects...

Read moreDetails
dedicated to late mom:  Senior multimedia investigative journalist Mark Bassant.
News

Bassant, Kissoon win CBU awards

by Admin
August 21, 2026

TWO veteran journalists with the Express were among the Caribbean journalists recognised at the 37th Caribbean Broadcasting Union (CBU) Media...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
FGM Leader Amanza Walton-Desir

FGM Calls for National Support Protocol After Back-to-Back Teen Mother Tragedies


EDITOR'S PICK

L-R, Minister of Housing and Water Collin Croal MP and former Minister and Member of Parliament Annette Ferguson

Croal and Ferguson Clash Over Guyana’s 78,000-House-Lot Backlog

December 30, 2025
Travis Head and Steven Smith put on 65 before having to go off for rain•ICC/Getty Images

Australia seal semi-finals spot after rain spoils Head’s party

February 28, 2025
William Kentridge's show "The Head & The Load" explores the largely ignored history of African soldiers in World War I. After premiering in London in 2018, it is finally playing for audiences on the continent it pays tribute to, opening at the Joburg Theatre.Courtesy the Artist and Goodman Gallery/William Kentridge Studio/Stella Olivier

William Kentridge is sharing the untold stories of Africans who served in World War I

April 23, 2023

President Ali’s COVID-19 concerns

April 29, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice