Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

Trinidad receives US licences for cross-border energy work with Venezuela

Admin by Admin
February 14, 2026
in Regional
Kamla Persad Bissessar - Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister

Kamla Persad Bissessar - Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
By Joanne Clark (CNW)-The Trinidad and Tobago government says it has been issued two United States general licences providing a “clear and structured legal framework” for certain oil and gas activities involving Venezuela and shared maritime areas between the two countries.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, in a statement posted Friday on X, said the licences represent an opportunity to deepen hemispheric energy cooperation and strengthen regional stability.

“As a longstanding close partner of the United States, Trinidad and Tobago views this development as an important opportunity to deepen hemispheric energy cooperation, strengthen regional stability, and reinforce trusted commercial ties,” she said.

READ ALSO

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

“We are optimistic about the potential to enhance our role as a responsible energy hub in the Caribbean, supporting domestic industry, safeguarding jobs, and contributing to reliable supply chains that benefit the wider region.”

The prime minister said the twin-island republic will proceed in full compliance with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements and in keeping with its commitment to transparency and sound governance.

According to the licence terms, any payments of oil or gas taxes or royalties to Venezuela, its state-owned energy company Petróleos de Venezuela SA (PdVSA), or related entities must be directed to foreign government deposit funds or to other accounts as instructed by the US Department of Treasury.

The licence also stipulates that it does not authorise payment arrangements deemed commercially unreasonable or involving debt swaps, gold payments or digital currencies issued by or on behalf of the Venezuelan government.

Background to cross-border energy projects

The development comes amid ongoing negotiations surrounding cross-border natural gas projects between Trinidad and Tobago and Venezuela, including the Dragon and Manakin-Cocuina fields.

In April 2025, Washington revoked Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) licences that had previously allowed Trinidad and Tobago to pursue the Dragon and Manakin-Cocuina natural gas projects with Venezuela, citing concerns over democratic governance and migration issues in the South American nation.

The Dragon field alone is estimated to hold about four trillion cubic feet of gas and had been expected to supply Trinidad and Tobago’s energy sector for years, with first exports originally projected for 2026.

The revoked licences froze the projects, despite Trinidad and Tobago already paying more than US$1 million annually in taxes to Venezuela related to the anticipated 20-year Dragon initiative.

By October 2025, a revised six-month OFAC licence was granted to allow renewed negotiations under strict conditions, marking a partial reopening of energy cooperation between the two countries.

Wider geopolitical backdrop

The latest licensing decision comes amid major geopolitical changes involving Venezuela.

Last month, the United States launched a military operation in Venezuela that resulted in the detention of President Nicolás Maduro and his wife on drug- and weapons-related charges. US officials later said Washington would administer the country temporarily while overseeing a political transition.

Persad-Bissessar had publicly supported the US military presence in the Caribbean after Washington initially framed the deployment as part of efforts to combat illegal drug trafficking.

With the new licences now in place, Trinidad and Tobago says it intends to move forward with energy cooperation in a manner consistent with US law while positioning itself as a key regional energy hub.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

St. Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) in Santa Cruz, St. Elizabeth, suffered extensive structural damage following the passage of the powerful Category 5 Hurricane Melissa.
Regional

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The Ministry of Education, Skills, Youth and Information is preparing contingency plans, including rotating students on alternate days, for schools...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Former Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago government to disclose how many nationals have...

Read moreDetails
From left: Newly appointed Bank of Jamaica Governor, Dr Brian Langrin and outgoing BOJ Governor Richard Byles.
Regional

JAMAICA | BOJ Governor Byles Bows Out. Langrin Takes Over on Wednesday.

by Admin
August 18, 2026

After seven years that carried Jamaica from a pandemic to an 11.8 per cent price spike and back inside the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Hayley Matthews

Matthews returns to lead West Indies Women in high-stakes ODI Series


EDITOR'S PICK

VENEZUELAN ARMY FIGHTER JETS INVADE GUYANA’S AIR SPACE 

March 3, 2021
South African Ambassador Ebrahim Rasool given 72 hours to pack his bags and leave Washington DC

SOUTH AFRICA | Diplomatic Fracture: Rubio Expels South African Ambassador Amid Rising Tensions

March 17, 2025
Trinidad round 2 against Guyana team 2

GUYANESE PLAYERS OFF TO A SMOOTH START

March 6, 2024
Guyana Defence Force (GDF) Retired Lieutenant Colonel Lelon Saul

Saul Demands Racial and Ethnic Disparity Survey to Address Inequities in Guyana

April 23, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice