Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

U.S. sanctions Russia’s two largest oil companies

- President Donald Trump confirmed Tuesday that a planned meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin wasn't currently scheduled

Admin by Admin
October 23, 2025
in Global
L-R Russia President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump

L-R Russia President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(NBC News)- The Treasury Department announced new sanctions targeting Russia’s oil sector Wednesday, the day after President Donald Trump confirmed that a planned meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin to discuss Russia’s war with Ukraine was off.

“Now is the time to stop the killing and for an immediate ceasefire,” Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement. “Given President Putin’s refusal to end this senseless war, Treasury is sanctioning Russia’s two largest oil companies that fund the Kremlin’s war machine. Treasury is prepared to take further action if necessary to support President Trump’s effort to end yet another war. We encourage our allies to join us in and adhere to these sanctions.”

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

The two companies being sanctioned are Rosneft and Lukoil, along with some of their subsidiaries, the statement said.

Despite the war and the battered Russian economy, Rosneft and Lukoil are worth more than $50 billion each and are two of the biggest companies listed on the Moscow Stock Exchange.

Trump told reporters Wednesday that it was the appropriate time to use sanctions to try to end the war.

“I just felt it was time. Waited a long time,” Trump said.

He added: “These are tremendous sanctions. These are very big; these are against their two big oil companies. And we hope that they won’t be on for long. We hope that the war will be settled.”

Trump also said he hoped both Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy would be “reasonable” and put aside their hatred for each other to resolve the conflict.

Ukraine’s ambassador to the United States, Olga Stefanishyna, signaled her strong support for the new sanctions Wednesday. “The decision is fully aligned with Ukraine’s consistent position: peace is possible only through strength and pressure on the aggressor using all available international tools,” she posted on X.

Last week, it appeared that relations between Washington and Moscow were warming after Trump held a call with Putin on Thursday and after Trump did not approve Zelenskyy’s request for long-range Tomahawk missiles in a meeting Friday.

Trump’s latest peace push hit a roadblock during a call between Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, according to senior figures on both sides.

Lavrov became “exercised” during the call, a Trump administration official told NBC News. He reiterated Russia’s refusal to agree to an immediate ceasefire before talks begin, a key demand of Kyiv and Europe that the United States has backed.

“We canceled the meeting with President Putin. It just, it didn’t feel right to meet. It didn’t feel like we were going to get to the place we have to get. So I canceled it, but we’ll do it in the future,” Trump said Wednesday.

He added: “Every time I speak with Vladimir, I have good conversations, and then they don’t go anywhere. They just don’t go anywhere.”

Trump has been under pressure from Zelenskyy, European nations and members of Congress from both parties for months to intensify U.S. sanctions on Russia.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Prime Minister of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, addresses the general debate of the General Assembly’s 80th session on Sept. 26, 2025. UN Photo/Loey Felipe

One from 15 leaves nought


EDITOR'S PICK

Philippine vessels illegally gathered in the name of fishing in the waters around Houteng Jiao in China's Nansha Qundao, November 26, 2024. Zhang Chao /CGTN

China Coast Guard urges Philippines to stop provocations

December 3, 2024
Town Hall meeting on Sunday, October 30, at Woodbine Hotel, Brooklyn, New York

GCID gets Opposition’s support for NY town hall meeting on Guyana

November 2, 2022

Diplomatic “Meet up” in Kingstown, Venezuela and Guyana Leaders Meet to Discuss Essequibo Controversy

December 14, 2023
L-R Guyana's President Irfaan Ali, Suriname's President Jennifer Geerlings-Simons

Suriname Says President Ali Knew of Bridge Financing Plan Since May

July 5, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice