Thursday, May 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Iran-U.S. diplomacy intensifies as Trump seeks ‘right answers,’ Tehran signals gaps ‘reduced’

A visit by Pakistan’s army chief Thursday was aimed at “reaching the point of officially announcing acceptance of the memorandum of understanding,” Iran’s semiofficial ISNA news agency reported.

Admin by Admin
May 21, 2026
in Global
President Donald Trump 
Evelyn Hockstein/Reuters

President Donald Trump Evelyn Hockstein/Reuters

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
By Chantal Da Silva (NBC)- A new burst of diplomatic action intensified Thursday in a push to break the deadlock between the United States and Iran.

Tehran was responding to Washington’s latest proposal, which had “reduced the gaps to some extent” between the two sides, the semiofficial ISNA news agency reported early Thursday.

It said that a visit by Pakistan’s army chief was “aimed at reducing these gaps and reaching the point of officially announcing acceptance of the memorandum of understanding.”

READ ALSO

(Hello Africa) Chinese agricultural teachers empower Ethiopian youth with practical skills

Xinhua Commentary: Xi-Putin meeting charts new strategic course for China-Russia ties

The report, which did not disclose any sourcing, came after President Donald Trump said that efforts to finally reach a deal to end the war could take a few days — though he also again threatened renewed military action.

Trump said Wednesday that if the U.S. did not “get the right answers,” it was “all ready to go.” Asked how long he would wait, Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews, “it could be a few days, but it could go very quickly.”

He said in separate comments that negotiations with Tehran were in their “final stages” but that things could get “a little bit nasty” if an agreement isn’t reached.

Weeks of negotiations amid the ceasefire have centered on a deal that could curb Iran’s nuclear program and restore shipping traffic through the crucial Strait of Hormuz trade route.

Oil prices have soared amid the conflict, with the international benchmark Brent crude hovering at around $107 per barrel early Thursday.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei said earlier Thursday that Tehran had received U.S. views and was reviewing them, Nour News, which is linked to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, reported.

He said Pakistan, which has played a central role in negotiations, was helping facilitate the exchange of messages between the two sides.

Field Marshal Asim Munir, the commander of Pakistan’s army, was expected to travel to Tehran on Thursday, ISNA reported.

It comes after Trump said earlier this week that he had called off an attack on Iran planned for Tuesday after regional leaders urged him to allow negotiations to continue.

In a message on Truth Social on Monday, the president said leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had asked him to “hold off” on the attack, with “serious negotiations” taking place.

He said they had emphasized that a deal that would be “very acceptable to the United States of America” could be made. “This deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN,” Trump said.

Iran’s powerful Revolutionary Guard has warned against any renewed attacks should negotiations falter.

“If aggression ​against Iran is repeated, the regional war that had been promised will this time extend beyond the region and our crushing blows will bring you to ruin in places you cannot even imagine,” it said in a statement Wednesday.

U.S. Marines boarded an Iranian flagged tanker — the Celestial Sea — that attempted to violate the American maritime blockade, the U.S. military said Wednesday. This standoff over the Strait of Hormuz has throttled global shipping and threatened widespread disruption of energy and food supplies.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Chinese instructor Ma Yujie (3rd L) demonstrates surgical suturing skills at a lab of Holeta Polytechnic College in the Holeta town of Oromia region, Ethiopia, May 14, 2026. (Xinhua/Liu Fangqiang)
Global

(Hello Africa) Chinese agricultural teachers empower Ethiopian youth with practical skills

by Admin
May 21, 2026

In a sunlit classroom at Ethiopia's Holeta Polytechnic College, animal science students clustered around a table as Chinese instructor Ma...

Read moreDetails
Global

Xinhua Commentary: Xi-Putin meeting charts new strategic course for China-Russia ties

by Admin
May 21, 2026

BEIJING, May 21 (Xinhua) -- The high-profile meeting between Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Beijing...

Read moreDetails
Chinese supertankers Yuan Gui Yang, Ocean Lily, carrying 4 million barrels crude, exit Strait of Hormuz via Iran transit route
Global

Trump says negotiations with Iran in final stages, warns of attacks if deal fails

by Admin
May 20, 2026

DUBAI/WASHINGTON, May 20 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that negotiations with Iran were in the final...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Hamilton Green Warns Guyana Against “Subtle Re-Enlavement” at Independence Forum


EDITOR'S PICK

There are two Guyanese stars in Wakanda: Black Panther, three if you count Rihanna

January 30, 2023
From left PPP General Secretary, Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo, GTUC General Secretary Lincoln Lewis

Lewis condemns Jagdeo’s attack on McDonald

August 16, 2024
French President Emmanuel Macron speaks at an EU summit in Brussels on December 15, 2022. Photo: VCG

China refutes European politicians’ erroneous remarks on Taiwan question as pro-US camp reacts to Macron’s ‘strategic autonomy’ call

April 14, 2023
NIS Facebook photo

Guyana’s National Insurance Scheme (NIS) – A Legacy Under Pressure

October 8, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice