Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Venezuela’s Maduro readies security powers in case of feared US attack

Admin by Admin
September 30, 2025
in Global
Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro stands up at the end of a press conference, days after he said Venezuela would deploy military, police and civilian defenses at 284 "battlefront" locations across the country, amid heightened tensions with the U.S., in Caracas, Venezuela, September 15, 2025. REUTERS/Leonardo Fernandez Viloria
© Thomson Reuters

Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro stands up at the end of a press conference, days after he said Venezuela would deploy military, police and civilian defenses at 284 "battlefront" locations across the country, amid heightened tensions with the U.S., in Caracas, Venezuela, September 15, 2025. REUTERS/Leonardo Fernandez Viloria © Thomson Reuters

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

CARACAS (Reuters) -Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has signed a decree granting him additional security powers in case the U.S. military enters the country, the nation’s vice president, Delcy Rodriguez, said on Monday.

The measure marks the latest escalation in tensions between the two countries, with Maduro publicly alleging that U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration is plotting to oust him.

READ ALSO

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

The decree would allow Maduro to mobilize armed forces throughout the country and give the military authority over public services and the oil industry.

The U.S. has deployed a fleet of warships through the Caribbean, which Washington says is to combat drug trafficking through the region.

In recent weeks, the U.S. has also struck several boats it claims were carrying illicit drugs from Venezuela, killing those aboard. Experts have questioned the legality of the strikes.

Privately, Maduro has sought to reconcile with Trump, sending a letter to his counterpart earlier this month offering to engage in direct talks.

Maduro rejected U.S. claims that Venezuela played a big role in drug trafficking, and told Trump he wanted the relationship between the two countries to be “historic and peaceful.”

Still, U.S. military officials are drawing up plans to strike alleged targets related to drug trafficking within Venezuela, NBC News reported on Friday, citing sources familiar with the matter.

“What the U.S. government, what warlord Marco Rubio is doing against Venezuela is a threat,” Rodriguez told diplomats in a meeting on Monday.

Venezuela’s military has carried out training exercises with volunteer militia members in recent days, with soldiers teaching members of the public to handle weapons in preparation for what leaders call a possible U.S. incursion.

The U.S. State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The powers granted under the decree signed by Maduro would be valid for a 90-day period, with the option to be renewed for a further 90 days, according to the nation’s constitution.

(Reporting by Deisy Buitrago; Additional reporting by Kylie Madry; Editing by Franklin Paul, Stephen Coates and Lincoln Feast.)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
[Photo/Xinhua]
Global

Robotics boom fueling nation’s tech ambitions

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 3,000 cutting-edge robots and related products packed the 2026 World Robot Conference, which opened in Beijing on Wednesday,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
From left - Attorney General Anil Nandlall and attorney-at-law Darren Wade

GTU Withdraws Contempt Case Against Top Officials — But Dues Dispute Remains 'Active'


EDITOR'S PICK

Special Constable  Rayana Simpson

Special Constable Granted Bail in Stabbing Case

December 10, 2025
The Headquarters of Cyril’s Transportation Service at David Street, Kitty (SN photo)

‘We want our voices heard’

May 24, 2021

The Silent Crisis of Stroke Care

February 18, 2026

Cops assaulted by drunken trio

November 6, 2020

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice