Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

NATO warns Russia to stop ‘escalatory’ actions after Estonian airspace violation

Admin by Admin
September 23, 2025
in Global
National flags of Alliance's members flutter at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Belgium April 2, 2025. REUTERS/Yves Herman/ File Photo

National flags of Alliance's members flutter at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Belgium April 2, 2025. REUTERS/Yves Herman/ File Photo

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

READ ALSO

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

BRUSSELS (Reuters) – NATO warned Russia on Tuesday that it would use “all necessary military and non-military tools” to defend itself as it condemned Moscow for violating Estonian airspace in “a pattern of increasingly irresponsible behaviour”.
Estonia said on Friday that three Russian MiG-31 fighter jets violated its airspace for 12 minutes before being escorted out by NATO Italian fighter jets – an incident Western officials say was likely designed to test NATO’s readiness and resolve.
The week before, some 20 Russian drones entered Polish airspace, prompting NATO jets to shoot some of them down and the alliance to beef up the defence of Europe’s eastern flank.
Tuesday’s meeting of the North Atlantic Council, made up of ambassadors from the alliance’s 32 member countries, was called after Estonia invoked Article 4 of NATO’s founding treaty.

NATO COMMANDERS CAN TAKE ‘ULTIMATE’ DECISION

“Russia bears full responsibility for these actions, which are escalatory, risk miscalculation and endanger lives. They must stop,” the council said in a statement.
“Russia should be in no doubt: NATO and Allies will employ, in accordance with international law, all necessary military and non-military tools to defend ourselves and deter all threats from all directions,” the statement said.
“We will continue to respond in the manner, timing, and domain of our choosing.”
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said the Russian jets over Estonia had not been shot down as it had been assessed that they posed no immediate threat.
But he said NATO commanders had the authority to “take the ultimate decision” if they assessed that intruding aircraft did pose such a threat.

DEFENSIVE ALLIANCE BUT ‘NOT NAIVE’

NATO’s Article 4 states that allies will “consult together whenever, in the opinion of any of them, the territorial integrity, political independence or security” of a member is threatened.
It is only the ninth time in NATO’s 76-year history that the article has been invoked – and two of those occasions have come this month in response to the incidents over Poland and Estonia.
“We are a defensive alliance, yes, but we are not naive. So we see what is happening,” Rutte said.
“If it is not intentional, then it is blatantly incompetent. And of course, even if it is incompetence, we still have to defend ourselves.”
Russia said on Monday that Estonia’s assertion that Russian jets violated Estonian airspace was unfounded and accused Tallinn of seeking to ratchet up East-West tensions.
On the Polish incident, Russia said its drones had carried out a major attack on military facilities in western Ukraine that night but had not planned to hit targets in Poland.
In its statement, NATO also said its members would not be deterred from continuing to support Ukraine “in the exercise of its inherent right to self-defence against Russia’s brutal and unprovoked war of aggression”.

Reporting by Andrew Gray and Lili Bayer; Editing by Benoit Van Overstraeten, Alexandra Hudson, Aidan Lewis

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
[Photo/Xinhua]
Global

Robotics boom fueling nation’s tech ambitions

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 3,000 cutting-edge robots and related products packed the 2026 World Robot Conference, which opened in Beijing on Wednesday,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Guyana’s Renewable Energy Transition: An Evidence-Based Assessment


EDITOR'S PICK

Should Guyanese be concerned about recent COVID-19 surge?

January 6, 2023
Former president Donald Trump arrives at Trump Tower in New York on Monday, April 3, 2023. Trump is expected to be booked and arraigned on Tuesday on charges arising from hush money payments during his 2016 campaign. (AP Photo/Bryan Woolston)

Donald Trump set to be arraigned in historic court moment

April 4, 2023
Google Photo

Dealing with Controlling People

June 22, 2024
Photo of aircraft at DR Airport : Jimmy Lorenzo

Baron aircraft vanishes en route from SVG to Tobago

June 15, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice