Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Demerara Bank Closes WIN Candidates’ Accounts Without Explanation; Does WIN Have the Boycott Power to Retaliate?

Staff Writer by Staff Writer
July 22, 2025
in News
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

READ ALSO

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

At an informative press conference led by WIN Campaign Manager Odessa Primus, the WIN party condemned Demerara Bank for what they described as politically motivated account closures targeting WIN candidates, including Duarte Hetsberger and Natasha Singh. Primus confirmed that multiple WIN candidates received similar account termination letters, with no explanation provided.
Primus stated that the bank appeared to be using addresses pulled from the official WIN candidate list, addresses not listed in the bank’s own records, suggesting targeted political surveillance or data sharing. She made it clear, the only common denominator among the affected individuals was their affiliation with WIN.
WIN firmly rejected any implied connection between their candidates and US-sanctioned businessman Azruddin Mohamed, saying the bank’s actions could not be justified under Guyana’s legal banking framework. “The Muhammads don’t even have a bank account at Demerara Bank,” Primus said. “These WIN candidates have no business ties to them.”
She described the bank’s actions as “disrespectful, unprofessional, and bullyism,” and announced that she had already begun consultations with legal counsel and would explore both individual and joint legal action.
In a powerful moment, Primus declared;
“If one of our team member’s money is not good enough for Demerara Bank, then none of our money is. We will remove all of it. And we will consider whether we will do business with any company affiliated with them.”
She also claimed the action revealed the ruling PPP government’s fear of WIN’s growing political strength.
“If WIN was a nobody, the state wouldn’t be weaponized against us,” she said. “We are a force to be reckoned with.”  Primus added that WIN had no fear heading into the upcoming election and confirmed that their manifesto launch would happen “very shortly.” She slammed the PPP for failing to deliver on their previous manifesto and criticized the two major parties for escaping similar scrutiny.
The press conference also referenced a separate incident involving WIN supporter, Superintendent of GuySuCo’s Albion Estate, Safraaz Birbal, who was allegedly victimized, which the party interpreted as part of a broader PPP strategy to intimidate dissent.
ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

The Bartica Solar Farm in Daag Point, Region Seven
News

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More communities are expected to benefit from reductions in electricity costs in the coming months, as the government moves ahead...

Read moreDetails
Residents of Melanie and surrounding communities gathered at the engagement
News

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 250 families in Melanie and surrounding communities are expected to secure formal titles to the land they currently...

Read moreDetails
News

WIN–APNU Rift Deepens as Hinds Blasts Mohamed’s Local Gov’t Decision

by Admin
August 20, 2026

A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Member of Parliament and Working People’s Alliance (WPA) co-leader Dr. David Hinds has sharply...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Growing Resentment Inside PPP as Defectors Take Center Stage


EDITOR'S PICK

 Top CSEC, CAPE performers cannot be officially declared due to ongoing review process  

February 7, 2021

Don’t throw away the banana peel

August 23, 2022
President of the Guyana Olympic Association, Mr. Godfrey Munroe

Guyana Cricket Board receives Olympic Affiliation

February 11, 2026
U.S Secretary of State Marco Rubio

Rubio promises more strikes on Venezuelan cartels: ‘We’re not going to sit back anymore’

September 4, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice