Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

China says U.S. violated tariff truce as trade war heats up

Admin by Admin
June 2, 2025
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

CBS News – China on Monday said the Trump administration is undermining the temporary May 12 trade agreement between the two nations by issuing AI chip export control guidelines, stopping the sale of chip design software to China and by planning to revoke Chinese student visas.

The Trump administration’s actions “seriously undermine the existing consensus reached at the Geneva economic and trade talks, and seriously damage China’s legitimate rights and interests,” China’s Commerce Ministry said in the June 2 statement.

READ ALSO

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

China’s claims come after President Trump on Friday said that Beijing is violating a trade agreement with the U.S., just weeks after the two countries announced on May 12 a temporary but significant easing of tariffs imposed on each other’s imports earlier in the year. The escalation of rhetoric heightens concerns that the two largest global economies may encounter further stumbling blocks as they pursue trade negotiations, experts say.

“Fresh hostilities between the U.S. and China show that the many questions left hanging after the Geneva ceasefire in mid-May still have no satisfactory answers,” Arthur Kroeber, a China analyst at Gavekal Research, said in a report. “It is not clear whether U.S. trade policy is being run by President Donald Trump, his trade negotiators or his national security team.”

He added, “The overall objectives of the trade aggression, other than the display of raw power, are as muddled as ever.”

Meanwhile, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Sunday said he’s “confident” a U.S.-China trade dispute “will be ironed out” when Mr. Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping have a conversation. “I believe we’ll see something very soon,” Bessent said on “Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan.”

Wall Street was lower on Monday amid renewed concerns of a brewing trade war between the nations. The S&P 500 slipped 10 points, or 0.2%, to 5,901, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.4% and the tech-heavy Nasdaq composite shed 0.1%.

May 12 tariff pause

The May 12 deal lasts 90 days, creating time for U.S. and Chinese negotiators to reach a more substantive agreement. But the pause still leaves tariffs higher than before Mr. Trump started ramping them up last month. Businesses and investors must also contend with uncertainty about whether the truce will last.

U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said the U.S. agreed to drop the 145% tax Mr. Trump had imposed on China to 30%. China agreed to lower its tariff rate on U.S. goods to 10% from 125%.

On Monday, the Commerce Ministry said China held up its end of the deal, canceling or suspending tariffs and nontariff measures taken against the U.S. “reciprocal tariffs” following the agreement. But it alleged that the Trump administration has “unilaterally provoked new economic and trade frictions and exacerbated the uncertainty and instability” in trade relations between the two nations, citing curbs on exports of AI chips and chip design software to China.

The statement also singled out the Trump administration’s threat of stripping visas away from Chinese students studying at U.S. universities as undermining the trade agreement between the nations.

The Trump administration stepped up the clash with China last week, announcing that it would start revoking visas for Chinese students in the U.S. American campuses host more than 275,000 students from China.

The turmoil between the U.S. and China raises economic risks, given the links between the two nations and their importance in global trade, experts added.

“If the United States and China were to disengage completely in another blitz of escalating tariffs, it would be a really big deal for the global economy,” Carl Weinberg, chief economist at High Frequency Economics, told investors in a client note. “Demand for industrial commodities would plummet. Supply chains spanning multiple borders would shut down.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
[Photo/Xinhua]
Global

Robotics boom fueling nation’s tech ambitions

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 3,000 cutting-edge robots and related products packed the 2026 World Robot Conference, which opened in Beijing on Wednesday,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Scenes from the engagement on Sunday

$50B to transform dams into all-weather roads


EDITOR'S PICK

The remains of the July 31, 2025 fire at the Guyana Trades Union Congress/Critchlow Labour College

GTUC Blaze Declared Deliberate Attack – Fire Chief Confirms Latest Blaze Was Arson

August 9, 2025

Police constable among five injured in Port Kaituma accident

November 12, 2020
Professor Dr. Shamir Ally.

Dr. Ally Pushes Dutch Partnership to Protect Vulnerable Georgetown

June 14, 2026
Roysdale Forde, SC

Granger a misjoinder but no reason to nullify election petition – SC Forde

November 24, 2020

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice