Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Venezuela accuses U.S of plotting ‘false flag attack’ on Guyana oil platform

Venezuela’s vice-president said US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Blackwater founder Erik Prince were behind the alleged attack plan

Admin by Admin
April 8, 2025
in Global, News
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
(AFP) Venezuela’s army has said it is in a “state of alert” after the government warned of a suspected plot to blame Caracas for an attack on oil giant ExxonMobil in neighbouring Guyana.

The two countries have been at odds over the Essequibo territory that covers two-thirds of Guyana’s land area but is claimed by Venezuela.

Their long-standing dispute flared after ExxonMobil discovered vast oil reserves there in 2015.

Venezuela’s armed forces said on Sunday that they had an “iron will” and would “respond with energetic action” to “any threat to the integrity and peace” of the country.

READ ALSO

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

Vice-President Delcy Rodriguez had said on Saturday that “a false flag attack” was planned “to attack ExxonMobil’s platform” off the Essequibo coast.

Such an attack was designed to “spark confusion and trigger an escalation of aggression”, Rodriguez added.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio warned of “consequences” for Venezuela should it attack its neighbour, during a visit to Guyana’s capital Georgetown in March.

Guyana has recently complained of a Venezuelan warship violating its territorial waters.

Rodriguez said on Saturday that Rubio was behind the alleged attack plan alongside Erik Prince, founder of private security company Blackwater and an ally of US President Donald Trump.

Rodriguez also blamed Venezuelan opposition leaders.

Caracas held a referendum on Essequibo in 2023 and last year passed a law naming it Venezuela’s 24th federal state.

The country argues that the 1966 Geneva Agreement – signed before Guyana’s independence – is a basis for a settlement outside the purview of the International Court of Justice that would place its border on the river Essequibo, as it was in 1777.

Guyana says its frontier dating back to the British colonial period was settled in 1899 by a Paris court of arbitration, and has called on the International Court of Justice to ratify the decision.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
The Bartica Solar Farm in Daag Point, Region Seven
News

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More communities are expected to benefit from reductions in electricity costs in the coming months, as the government moves ahead...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Harpy Eagles lead by 6.2 points heading into final round of West Indies Championship


EDITOR'S PICK

Covid: White House defends Dr Fauci over lab leak emails

June 4, 2021

Japan slammed for ‘reckless decision’ on release of nuclear-contaminated water

January 6, 2023

Forde urges society rejects DPP’s intervention to determine who presides over Bascom’s trial

October 2, 2022

SIR VIV: WEST INDIES IS MY TEAM; I’M BACKING THEM ALL THE WAY!

April 21, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice