Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

14 decomposed bodies were discovered on boat near Dominican Republic

Admin by Admin
August 8, 2024
in Regional
This photo provided by the Dominican Republic Civil Defense shows a boat retrieved by the Civil Defense from the sea off Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic, Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2024. Photo: AP/Dominican Republic Civil Defense

This photo provided by the Dominican Republic Civil Defense shows a boat retrieved by the Civil Defense from the sea off Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic, Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2024. Photo: AP/Dominican Republic Civil Defense

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Forensic authorities in the Dominican Republic worked Wednesday to identify the remains of at least 14 mostly decomposed bodies found on an abandoned vessel 10 nautical miles of its northern coast.

The Dominican Republic Navy said the 14 skeletons appeared to belong to individuals from Senegal and Mauritania, according to the documentation found next to the bodies.

READ ALSO

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

Authorities are also working to determine the cause and time of the deaths and whether 12 packages of a substance found on the boat contained illicit drugs, presumably cocaine or heroin.

Cell phones and geolocation devices were also found on the boat, the Navy said.

The Atlantic route from West Africa to the European Union territory is one of the most dangerous in the world. Boats that miss their destination can be swept away by Atlantic trade winds and currents from east to west, drifting for months. Migrants aboard often die of dehydration and malnutrition. Others have also been known to jump into the ocean out of desperation.

An Associated Press investigation published last year revealed that in 2021, at least seven boats from northwest Africa had been found in the Caribbean and Brazil, all carrying dead bodies.

The bodies found Tuesday in the Dominican Republic are being analysed by the National Institute of Forensic Sciences (INACIF) in Santiago, the country’s second largest city and near where the discovery was made, said Nairobi Viloria, a spokeswoman for the Attorney General’s Office.

Meanwhile, the substance found next to the bodies is being analysed in laboratories operated by the country’s anti-drug agency, said Carlos Devers, a spokesman for the National Directorate of Drug Control. (Caribbean Loop News)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Regional

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Ten months after Melissa, Hanover families are still without homes. A CARICOM neighbour manufactures the answer in hardwood — and...

Read moreDetails
Clare Browne
Regional

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Director of Education Clare Browne says he has mixed feelings about CXC’s decision to remove school-based assessments from several subjects...

Read moreDetails
dedicated to late mom:  Senior multimedia investigative journalist Mark Bassant.
News

Bassant, Kissoon win CBU awards

by Admin
August 21, 2026

TWO veteran journalists with the Express were among the Caribbean journalists recognised at the 37th Caribbean Broadcasting Union (CBU) Media...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Rain restricts play to 15 overs on day one between West Indies and South Africa


EDITOR'S PICK

WORD OF THE DAY: EXORBITANT

October 9, 2024
Lake Lure Photo

Ministry of Health flood advisory

April 21, 2023

As Brazilians vote today Int’l warnings grow over threat to democracy

October 2, 2022

ERC’s Message on International Day of People of African Descent 2023

September 2, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice