Saturday, August 22, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

JAMAICA | Supreme Court Strikes Out Meritless Cases Brought by JLP – Opposition approves

Admin by Admin
July 26, 2024
in Regional
Dr. Drayton Campbell

Dr. Drayton Campbell

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(WiredJA) KINGSTON, Jamaica:  The People’s National Party (PNP) has welcomed the Supreme Court’s decision to strike out both claims brought by  the  Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) against Councillors Viviene Brown Bond and Ralston Wilson, representing the Kintyre and Ginger Ridge divisions, respectively.

The Supreme Court dismissed the JLP’s applications on several grounds, including that it was an abuse of process.

READ ALSO

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

Following the Local Government Election in February 2024, the JLP filed election petitions against Councillor Brown Bond and Councillor Wilson, who had been duly elected by the voters of their divisions. Despite the magisterial recounts having been concluded in favour of the PNP candidates in both divisions, the JLP attempted to discredit the voice of the people by mounting a challenge against the two PNP Councillors.

A media release from the PNP says the Opposition is satisfied that the Supreme Court has upheld the integrity of the electoral process and confirmed the legitimacy of our Councillors’ victories. We are gratified that the rule of law has been upheld, and that the integrity of our electoral process has been preserved. We wish to express our heartfelt thanks to the legal team that represented the PNP, and by extension, the people of Jamaica.

While we await the court’s decision regarding the payment of court costs, the Opposition warns the Government to be more circumspect in its approach to the Constitution and the rule of law. This decision is significant, as it adds to the growing list of cases the Andrew Holness-led Government has lost in the Courts.

We also commend our Councillors for their unwavering commitment to serving their constituents during this challenging period.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Regional

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Ten months after Melissa, Hanover families are still without homes. A CARICOM neighbour manufactures the answer in hardwood — and...

Read moreDetails
Clare Browne
Regional

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Director of Education Clare Browne says he has mixed feelings about CXC’s decision to remove school-based assessments from several subjects...

Read moreDetails
dedicated to late mom:  Senior multimedia investigative journalist Mark Bassant.
News

Bassant, Kissoon win CBU awards

by Admin
August 21, 2026

TWO veteran journalists with the Express were among the Caribbean journalists recognised at the 37th Caribbean Broadcasting Union (CBU) Media...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

WORD OF THE DAY: JURISPRUDENCE


EDITOR'S PICK

Word of the Day: Zero-sum

June 26, 2024

G20 To Pursue Efforts To Limit Global Temperature Rise To 1.5ºC

November 16, 2022
At Pintolândia, a shelter exclusive to indigenous people coming from Venezuela to Boa Vista (Roraima, Brazil), UN Women supported women from Warao and E'ñepá ethnicities to have their own income by making and selling handicraft. Photo: UN Women/Felipe Abreu

$1.72B plan launched to support Venezuelans on the move in Latin America and the Caribbean

December 4, 2022
CEO, GO-Invest Peter Ramsaroop (DPI)

Go-Invest sees scope for wide range of public-private partnerships

February 1, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice