Sunday, August 23, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Exxon CEO says dispute with Chevron over Hess Guyana oil assets could drag into 2025

Admin by Admin
May 7, 2024
in News
Darren Woods, chairman and chief executive officer of Exxon Mobil Corp, speaks during the 2024 CERAWeek by S&P Global conference in Houston, Texas, US, on Monday, March 18, 2024. 
F. Carter Smith | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Darren Woods, chairman and chief executive officer of Exxon Mobil Corp, speaks during the 2024 CERAWeek by S&P Global conference in Houston, Texas, US, on Monday, March 18, 2024. F. Carter Smith | Bloomberg | Getty Images

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
  • Exxon CEO Darren Woods said the dispute with Chevron over Hess Corporation’s assets in Guyana could drag into next year.
  • Exxon is claiming a right of first refusal on Hess’ assets in Guyana under an agreement that governs a consortium developing the country’s oil resources.
  • Chevron has rejected Exxon’s claims that the agreement applies to its pending all-stock deal to acquire Hess, valued at $53 billion.

Exxon CEO Darren Woods said Monday that the dispute with Chevron over Hess Corporation’s oil assets in Guyana likely will not be resolved until 2025.

“My view is it will go into 2025,” Woods told CNBC’s David Faber at the Milken Institute’s Global Conference in Los Angeles. Hess had previously indicated that the case could drag into next year.

READ ALSO

Shot Rings Out Near President’s Office, Suspected Warhead Recovered

Guyana’s Oil Wealth Must Create Real Opportunities for Young People- APNU

“This is an important arbitration obviously not only for Exxon Mobil but for Chevron and Hess,” Woods said. “What we need to do is take our time to do what’s right to make sure that we do all the due diligence and we get to the answer — the right answer.”

Exxon is claiming a right of first refusal on Hess’ assets in Guyana under a joint operating agreement that governs a consortium that is developing the South American nation’s prolific oil resources. The oil major filed for arbitration in March at the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris.

Woods said the panel of arbitrators is still being selected and then the process will go into discovery. The CEO has repeatedly expressed confidence that Exxon will prevail in the dispute, saying the company wrote the agreement that governs the consortium.

Chevron has rejected Exxon’s claims that the agreement applies to its pending all-stock deal to acquire Hess, valued at $53 billion.

The arbitration court will ultimately decide the timeline of the proceedings, but Hess has asked the panel to hear the merits of the case in the third quarter with an outcome in the following quarter. Chevron CEO Mike Wirth told analysts during the company’s first-quarter earnings call in April that this timeline should allow the parties “to close the transaction shortly thereafter.”

“We see no legitimate reason to delay that timeline,” Wirth said.

If Exxon prevails in the case, Chevron’s deal with Hess would break up. Woods has said Exxon is not making a play to buy Hess, but wants to defend its right in the interest of shareholders and find out what value is being placed on Hess’ Guyana assets.

Hess has a 30% stake in an oil patch called the Stabroek block off the coast of Guyana. Exxon leads the project with a 45% stake while China National Offshore Oil Corp. maintains 25% stake.

Spencer Kimball (CNBC)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Office of the President
News

Shot Rings Out Near President’s Office, Suspected Warhead Recovered

by Admin
August 22, 2026

Police have launched an investigation into a late-night gunfire incident near the Office of the President after a vehicle belonging...

Read moreDetails
Michael Richmond
News

Guyana’s Oil Wealth Must Create Real Opportunities for Young People- APNU

by Admin
August 22, 2026

The A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) has raised concerns about the economic prospects of young Guyanese, questioning whether the...

Read moreDetails
President Irfaan Ali- May 22, 2026 press conference (screengrab)
News

President Ali Coming After Social Media Users as Govt Considers New Laws

by Admin
August 22, 2026

President Irfaan Ali has signalled that his administration is considering tougher legal measures against social media users, warning that Guyana...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

WORD OF DAY: EXTEMPORISE


EDITOR'S PICK

Minister of Human Services and Social Security, Dr Vindyha Persaud

Human Services Ministry launches Childcare Subsidy for essential workers

December 14, 2020
President Mohamed Irfaan Ali

Caribbean financial sector urged to be more involved in regional development – President Ali

January 27, 2023
High Court

Democracy at Risk: Legal Challenges Over Electoral Rights Spark Alarms in Guyana

August 3, 2025
GHK Lall

Fort Island: Fun, Frolic, and Filth

May 31, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice