Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Exxon, Hess exit Kaieteur offshore oil exploration block in Guyana

Admin by Admin
September 29, 2023
in News
The Exxon Mobil Corp building is pictured in Georgetown, Guyana, February 18, 2022. REUTERS/Sabrina Valle/File Photo

The Exxon Mobil Corp building is pictured in Georgetown, Guyana, February 18, 2022. REUTERS/Sabrina Valle/File Photo

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(Reuters) – U.S. oil producers Exxon Mobil (XOM.N) and Hess Corp (HES.N) have withdrawn from exploring the Kaieteur block in Guyana’s deepwaters, Exxon said on Thursday, after disappointing exploration results.

The exit comes as the producers focus on their larger and highly productive Stabroek block, where more than 11 billion barrels of oil and gas have been discovered so far.

READ ALSO

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

Kaieteur, at 3.3 million acres (13,354 sq km), is about half the size of Stabroek and one of two, smaller non-productive blocks Exxon held.

The companies have transferred their stakes in the block to Ratio Guyana Limited and Cataleya Energy Limited, which originally held the exploration licenses, Exxon said.

Ratio will take over as operator from Exxon, pending government approval. The first well drilled by Exxon in the block was deemed non-commercial. Exxon also has drilled three non-commercial wells in the smaller Canje block.

A consortium composed of Exxon, Hess and CNOOC Ltd (0883.HK) control all offshore production in Guyana through the Stabroek block. That block is producing about 380,000 barrels of oil per day.

Exxon plans to have a production capacity of more than 1.2 million barrels of oil and gas equivalent per day from Stabroek by 2027.

“Our withdrawal from the Kaieteur block has no impact on our commitment to seeking further exploration and development opportunities and to generating additional value for the government and people of Guyana,” Exxon said in a statement.

Exxon and Hess were among oil companies that submitted bids in an auction for 14 other oil and gas exploration blocks. Results of that auction have not yet been disclosed. Other bidders included TotalEnergies (TTEF.PA) and Qatar Energy.

Reporting by Kiana Wilburg in Georgetown and Sabrina Valle in Houston; Editing by Chris Reese and Leslie Adler

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

The Bartica Solar Farm in Daag Point, Region Seven
News

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More communities are expected to benefit from reductions in electricity costs in the coming months, as the government moves ahead...

Read moreDetails
Residents of Melanie and surrounding communities gathered at the engagement
News

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 250 families in Melanie and surrounding communities are expected to secure formal titles to the land they currently...

Read moreDetails
News

WIN–APNU Rift Deepens as Hinds Blasts Mohamed’s Local Gov’t Decision

by Admin
August 20, 2026

A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Member of Parliament and Working People’s Alliance (WPA) co-leader Dr. David Hinds has sharply...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

China opposes U.S. suppression of Chinese firms over "forced labor prevention"


EDITOR'S PICK

The plane Kellie Meyer, X photo credit

VIDEO: Nine people injured after Delta plane landing at Toronto airport overturns

February 17, 2025

Grand Master Set for Guyana – CARICOM tournament

March 4, 2024
Rovman Powell

Wrist injury rules Rovman Powell out of remaining Pakistan T20Is

August 2, 2025

Guyana’s New Slavery, Its Chains, Whips, Massahs, House Slaves

August 1, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice