Saturday, August 22, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

New files shed light on ExxonMobil’s efforts to undermine climate science

Executives privately sought to downplay link between fossil fuels and climate change despite public pronouncements, WSJ reports

Admin by Admin
September 15, 2023
in Global
The former US secretary of state Rex Tillerson, who was the chief executive of ExxonMobil between 2006 and 2016. Photograph: Cliff Owen/AP

The former US secretary of state Rex Tillerson, who was the chief executive of ExxonMobil between 2006 and 2016. Photograph: Cliff Owen/AP

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

ExxonMobil executives privately sought to undermine climate science even after the oil and gas giant publicly acknowledged the link between fossil fuel emissions and climate change, according to previously unreported documents revealed by the Wall Street Journal.

The new revelations are based on previously unreported documents subpoenaed by New York’s attorney general as part of an investigation into the company announced in 2015. They add to a slew of documents that record a decades-long misinformation campaign waged by Exxon, which are cited in a growing number of state and municipal lawsuits against big oil.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

Many of the newly released documents date back to the 2006-16 tenure of former chief executive Rex Tillerson, who oversaw a major shift in the company’s climate messaging. In 2006, Exxon publicly accepted that the climate crisis posed risks, and it went on to support the Paris agreement. Yet behind closed doors, the company behaved differently, the documents show.

In 2008, Exxon pledged to stop funding climate-denier groups. But that very same year, company leadership said it would support the company in directing a scientist to help the nation’s top oil and gas lobbying group write a paper about the “uncertainty” of measuring greenhouse gas emissions.

The company’s preoccupation with climate uncertainty continued. Before one meeting with company scientists in 2012, one researcher expressed an interest in finding “‘skeptic’ arguments that we consider to be not yet disproven”. During a board meeting about climate science and policy that same year, the Exxon board member Peter Brabeck-Letmathe, who is the former chief executive of Nestlé, said there was “still uncertainty in predicting future climate changes and impacts” and also said that “money and effort spent on climate change is misplaced”.

The documents also show Exxon’s displeasure with scientific warnings from top authorities. After the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the United Nations’ top climate body, sounded the alarm about the urgent need to curb greenhouse-gas emissions in 2011, Tillerson told a leading Exxon researcher that the IPCC’s warning was “not credible”, and said he was “dissatisfied” with the media’s coverage of the warning about the worst-case climate scenarios.

Tillerson also wanted to engage with the scientists “to influence [the group], in addition to gathering info”, the Exxon researcher told colleagues in a 2012 email about the findings.

Years later, Tillerson expressed doubt about the United Nations’ Paris accord months before it was signed. The international agreement aims to keep global heating “well below” 2C over pre-industrial temperatures.

After a climate science presentation to Exxon’s board of directors in April 2015, Tillerson called the 2C goal “something magical”, according to a summary of the meeting.

“Who is to say 2.5 is not good enough?” he said, noting that meeting such targets would be “very expensive”.

That December, Exxon publicly endorsed the Paris agreement; during his Senate confirmation hearing to become secretary of state in 2017 under President Trump, Tillerson maintained his support for it.

When asked by the Journal about the new documents, the Exxon chief executive, Darren Woods, said: “When taken out of context, it seems bad.”

“But having worked with some of these colleagues earlier in my career, I have the benefit of knowing they are people of good intent,” he said. “None of these old emails and notes matter, though. All that does is that we’re building an entire business dedicated to reducing emissions – both our own and others’ – and spending billions of dollars on solutions that have a real, sustainable impact.”

Tillerson declined to comment, the Wall Street Journal said.

The documents could bolster legal efforts to hold oil companies accountable for their alleged attempts to sow doubt about climate science. More than two dozen US cities and states are suing big oil, claiming the industry knew for decades about the dangers of burning coal, oil and gas but hid that information.

In July, progressive senators led by Vermont’s Bernie Sanders also urged the justice department to sue oil majors for allegedly violating US consumer protection laws, racketeering laws, and other legal standards.

(The Guardian)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Beres Hammond To Receive Honorary Degree From University Of The West Indies


EDITOR'S PICK

L-R Requesting state lead counsel, Terrence Williams KC and Attorney General Anil Nandlal SC

Prosecution Requests New Dates for Mohamed Extradition Hearings

January 11, 2026
Game show host Alex Trebek poses on the set of the "Jeopardy!" Million Dollar Celebrity Invitational Tournament Show Taping on April 17, 2010 in Culver City, California.Amanda Edwards / Getty Images file

Alex Trebek, beloved ‘Jeopardy!’ host, dies after cancer battle at age 80

November 8, 2020
Dr. Henry Jeffrey

Jeffrey Blasts PPP for “Deliberate Pauperisation” of African Guyanese

July 9, 2025

Unjust & unconscionable to expect workers to band their bellies as Ali opens his buckle to allow for expansion of his

November 28, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice