Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

Caribbean Airlines repays stranded family TT$20,000

Admin by Admin
September 3, 2023
in Regional
back home: US cancer patient Jay Bondell, from left, Trinidad-born US resident Adrian Crichlow, 22-month-old AJ Crichlow, Allison Bondell and Fredi Bondell at the Radisson Hotel Trinidad, Port of Spain, where they spoke with the Express last week. The family has since returned home. —Photo: Jermaine Cruickshank

back home: US cancer patient Jay Bondell, from left, Trinidad-born US resident Adrian Crichlow, 22-month-old AJ Crichlow, Allison Bondell and Fredi Bondell at the Radisson Hotel Trinidad, Port of Spain, where they spoke with the Express last week. The family has since returned home. —Photo: Jermaine Cruickshank

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

By Leah Sorias- A family of five who came to Trinidad on vacation last month, but ended up stranded here for several days due to the Caribbean Airlines/pilots impasse, has been offered a $20,000 reimbursement by the airline.

And to demonstrate the airline’s “commitment to service excellence”, CAL has approved transportation vouchers totalling more than $12,000 which the family can use to book future flights.

READ ALSO

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

The affected family comprised Trinidad-born United States resident Adrian Crichlow; his 74-year-old father-in-law, Jay Bondell; his mother-in-law, Frieda Bondell; his wife, Allison Bondell; and his 22-month-old son, AJ—all United States citizens.

In an interview with the Express last week Tuesday, Crichlow recounted how a family trip to Trinidad on August 15 for his 40th birthday ended on a sour note as a result of the CAL flight disruptions.

Their BW520 flight back to New York was scheduled to leave Trinidad on August 19, but was cancelled along with dozens of others flights.

CAL later explained that 93 pilots called in sick between August 18 and 20, hours before they were scheduled to report for duty.

CAL said this resulted in flight disruptions which affected nearly 5,000 passengers, and led to $15 million in losses for the airline.

Crichlow said that by August 21, his father-in-law’s cancer medication had run out.

Worried and desperate to get back to New York to replenish the critical medication, he said the family paid US$3,700 to book their own flight home with United Airlines.

They arrived in New York on August 23.

“It is valid for one year from the date of issue and it can be used via our Reservations Call Centre or at one of our Ticket Offices. Our voucher cannot be extended or be redeemed for cash and will have no residual value. Kindly confirm receipt of this e-mail at your earliest convenience,” CAL wrote.

“Please note that our refund and vouchers will be in full and final settlement of this claim. Once again, we extend our apologies. We appreciate you choosing Caribbean Airlines and hope that we can serve you better in future,” the airline added.

Contacted via telephone yesterday, CAL communications manager Dionne Ligoure confirmed that CAL has begun reimbursing passengers affected by last week’s disruptions.

However, she said she was unable to access the exact figures as she was away from office.

‘Claim settled’

In e-mails to CAL last week, Crichlow complained about the fa­mily’s “awful experience” and sought information about a reimbursement.

CAL responded, apologising for the inconvenience and assuring the matter was being looked into.

Updating the Express this week on the outcome of the issue, Crichlow said he was “very grateful for CAL’s turnaround on the matter”.

CAL, via e-mail, informed Crichlow this week that considering the disruption and the receipts he submitted for new travel arrangements, the airline had approved a reimbursement of US$2,955, which represented their United Airlines tickets (US$2,853.80) and baggage (US$101.20).

“Additionally, to demonstrate our commitment to service excellence, we have approved transpor­tation vouchers valued US$450 each (infant not included). Our voucher can be used towards the purchase of a ticket (excludes taxes and domestic tickets) for further travel with Caribbean Airlines. (Trinidad Express)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

St. Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) in Santa Cruz, St. Elizabeth, suffered extensive structural damage following the passage of the powerful Category 5 Hurricane Melissa.
Regional

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The Ministry of Education, Skills, Youth and Information is preparing contingency plans, including rotating students on alternate days, for schools...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Former Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago government to disclose how many nationals have...

Read moreDetails
From left: Newly appointed Bank of Jamaica Governor, Dr Brian Langrin and outgoing BOJ Governor Richard Byles.
Regional

JAMAICA | BOJ Governor Byles Bows Out. Langrin Takes Over on Wednesday.

by Admin
August 18, 2026

After seven years that carried Jamaica from a pandemic to an 11.8 per cent price spike and back inside the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Dr. Mark Devonish

Stop this nonsense—Indentureship isn't Slavery


EDITOR'S PICK

Vincent Alexander

The plot to dismantle and replace IDPADA-G thickens-Chairman Vincent Alexander

May 21, 2023
(L-R) St. Kitts and Nevis CARICOM Youth Ambassadors Siobhan Phipps-Harding and Aquanjé Robinson

Youth ambassadors call for bold action at CARICOM’s 50th Heads of Government Meeting

February 25, 2026

Is Guyana’s history and heritage for sale?

October 7, 2021

Let Us Remember Adriana Younge as we cast our ballots on September 1st, 2025

June 11, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice