Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

WI keen to defy India in tests after ODI World Cup qualifying flop

Admin by Admin
July 11, 2023
in Sports
West Indies batsmen John Campbell (left) and Kraigg Brathwaite run between the wickets during day one of their first Test cricket match against Bangladesh at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on Thursday, June 16, 2022. (PHOTO: File).

West Indies batsmen John Campbell (left) and Kraigg Brathwaite run between the wickets during day one of their first Test cricket match against Bangladesh at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on Thursday, June 16, 2022. (PHOTO: File).

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

ROSEAU, Dominica (AP) — The West Indies test side is not the one-day international or Twenty20 teams.

Test captain Kraigg Brathwaite has stated the obvious in the leadup to their two-test series against India to try and contrast his team’s prospects against the failures of the national short-format sides.

READ ALSO

Pretorius, Shamar, batters give Guyana Amazon Warriors second straight win

St Lucia Kings lose Noor Ahmad for CPL after ACB revokes his NOC

The ODI team last week missed out on qualifying for the men’s World Cup for the first time. That followed the T20 side’s failure at the World Cup late last year to advance from the group stage for the first time in 15 years.

While urging Dominicans to buy tickets to the first test starting on Wednesday at Windsor Park, Brathwaite said his team has to play its part.

“We got to show a lot of fight and it starts with the attitude,” he said. “Even when you chase the balls to the boundary, it’s all about your attitude how you want to stop it before it reaches the boundary. We just want to show fight.”

West Indies haven’t lost a home test series in two years. But they have won only once at spin-friendly Windsor Park, 10 years ago.

Windsor Park hasn’t staged a test since 2017 but spinners have always been to the fore. Seven of the eight best test innings figures there were by spinners. West Indies’ decision to replace injured spinner Gudakesh Motie with two in right-armer Rahkeem Cornwall and leftie Jomel Warrican suggests both could play. Their last tests were in 2021 in Sri Lanka.

The squad also includes uncapped batters Kirk McKenzie, an opener, and Alick Athanaze, a Dominican, who each hit two half-centuries on the A tour of Bangladesh in May. Athanaze added a 45-ball 65 in his only West Indies ODI last month in the United Arab Emirates.

Team performance mentor Brian Lara liked their style and attitude, but added in regard to them fulfilling their promise, “It may take some time.”

When the ODI team bombed in the World Cup qualifier in Zimbabwe, allrounder Jason Holder and fellow pacer Alzarri Joseph were brought home early to prepare for India’s monthlong all-formats tour.

India look set to debut Yashasvi Jaiswal as the top order replacement for No. 3 batter Cheteshwar Pujara.

Pujara was India’s second highest run-scorer in the last World Test Championship cycle but he appears to have been made the scapegoat for India being bowled out twice in the final last month by Australia at the Oval. Mumbai opening batter Jaiswal, aged 21, has a first-class average of 80.21 from 26 innings, with nine hundreds.

Fast bowler Umesh Yadav was also dropped, and replaced by Navdeep Saini, who played two tests on the 2021 tour of Australia.

Mohammed Shami was rested, leaving Mohammed Siraj as the most experienced fast bowler with 19 tests. The combined total of the other four seamers — Saini, Thardul Shakur, Jaydev Unadkat, uncapped Mukesh Kumar — was 13 tests.

India’s non-selection of No. 1-ranked test bowler Ravichandran Ashwin for the WTC final caused a stir. But Windsor Park being partial to slow bowling could make Ashwin a factor beside spin allrounder Ravindra Jadeja.

India have won the last four series in the Caribbean. The second test in Port of Spain next week will be the 100th between the teams.

“We are not underestimating West Indies,” India vice-captain Ajinkya Rahane said. “Their performance at home in tests has been good in the last one to two years. We’ve had good preparation in Barbados before coming in, so we’re well covered. It’s all about starting well now.”

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Shamar Joseph's speed was too hot to handle for St Lucia Kings  •  CPL T20
Sports

Pretorius, Shamar, batters give Guyana Amazon Warriors second straight win

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Guyana Amazon Warriors 157 for 3 (Dindyal 50, Phillips 36, Theekshana 2-33) beat St Lucia Kings 151 for 7 (Asalanka 35, Pretorius 3-29,...

Read moreDetails
Noor Ahmad was the star bowler for St Lucia Kings when they won the title in 2024  •  CPL T20 via Getty Images
Sports

St Lucia Kings lose Noor Ahmad for CPL after ACB revokes his NOC

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Noor Ahmad, the Afghanistan left-arm wristspinner, will miss the CPL 2026 season, where he was a part of the St Lucia Kings squad, after the Afghanistan...

Read moreDetails
Sports

All-round Keemo Paul downs Patriots as Kingsmen get off the bottom

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Jamaica Kingsmen registered their second win of the season and got themselves off the bottom of the points table, beating...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Barbados Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley (l) and Venezuela President Nicolás Maduro.

Mia Mottley calls for the removal of economic sanctions against Venezuela by the United States


EDITOR'S PICK

The Honourable Minister of Education Priya Manickchand

Literacy and Robotics Programme launched at three schools in Region Three

March 16, 2023

Guyanese must respond tangibly to PPP discrimination

October 16, 2022

UG Hosting 1823 Revolt Bicentennial Essay Competition

July 21, 2023
B. St. Michael Hylton, representative of the Opposition PNP members of the Constituency Boundaries Committee

JAMAICA | Opposition PNP Warns Of Threat to Electoral Commission Independence In Boundary Dispute

April 11, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice