Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- 1 pork shoulder (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a plastic zipper food storage bag or shallow bowl. Add the pork and marinate 24 to 48 hours, or 3 hours minimum.
- Remove the pork from the marinade and put onto a foil-lined baking sheet. (Save the marinade!) Roast in a preheated 325-degree F oven for about 30 minutes.
- While the pork cooks, pour the reserved marinade into a saucepan. Add the 2 tablespoons of honey. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until it reaches a syrup consistency, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the pork from the oven and brush it on both sides with the marinade. Cook another 30 minutes. Remove the pork again and brush it all over with the marinade. Continue to cook about 20 minutes. (If the pork is getting to dark, cover it with foil.) Brush the pork one more time and cook for about 10 more minutes or until caramelized and sticky. (Meat should be fork-tender.) Allow the pork to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Drizzle with any remaining marinade. (30Seconds.com)