Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- 1 cup black eyed peas
- 3 lbs chicken, cut up
- 1 lb corned beef brisket or salted pigtail cut into bite sized pieces, you can use regular beef also
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallion, finely chopped about
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 wiri wiri pepper
- 2 chicken bouillon
- 1 13 oz can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups rice
- approximately 5 cups water
- *I included the recipe for green seasoning at the bottom of the post.
- Place peas in a bowl with enough water to cover and soak overnight. Strain the peas and place in a pot and cover with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes, the peas will soften, set aside.
- Season chicken with green seasoning* and let sit for at least an hour. Place beef brisket(or pigtail) in pressure cooker with 3 cups water and pressure for 15 minutes. If you do not have a pressure cooker cook for about 30 minutes.
- In a separate pot over a medium fire, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add chicken and allow to brown. Add onion, garlic, thyme and pepper and cook for a minute or two.
- Add beef or pigtail and coconut milk to chicken and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add about 2 cups of water and bring to a boil then add 2 cups rice, scallion, bay leaf and bouillon and stir pot thoroughly.
- Lower to a simmer then cover pot. On a low fire, cook for 25 to 30 minutes. The rice should be tender and all of the liquid should be absorbed. If rice is not tender and all of the liquid is gone, add water, a little at a time and continue to cook until rice is tender.
*Green seasoning is usually a mixture of onion, scallion, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper and salt that is finely chopped in the food processor or blender. This is used to season meat and add flavor to food. There are no exact measurements, you can use as little or as much of each ingredient according to your taste.(Jehancancook)