Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- 1lb chicken breast (about two small chicken breasts or one large. You can use dark meat as well if you prefer)
- 1 wiri wiri pepper or ½ scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 4-5 sprigs of thyme (remove stems)
- 4 tbsp of onion and garlic puree (blend one small onion with 6 cloves of garlic and ¼ water, blend to make puree)
- Dash of browning sauce (such as Gravy Master)
- 1 tsp Emeril Original Essence
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Dash of curry powder
- 1 cup of mixed frozen vegetables
- One beaten egg (to brush tops)
- One egg white
- Dough recipe: Use Cheese Roll recipe for dough instructions (you can also use store bought pie crust for a shortcut, but make sure not to roll it out too thin, we need a solid crust to hold up the filling)
- Make the dough ahead of time, preferably the night before refrigerate overnight. Or make dough 4 hours before and refrigerate until ready to assemble patties.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken breasts on both sides. Pan sear until both sides are brown.
- Chop chicken into small pieces and put into food processor with 1 wiri wiri pepper. Pulse until chicken is minced. Set aside.
- Puree onion and garlic with ¼ cup water, set aside. Heat a deep skillet with 4-5 tbsp of oil. Add chopped tomatoes, thyme, 4 tbsp onion/garlic puree, Emeril’s seasoning, a dash of curry powder, browning sauce, salt and cayenne pepper. Let simmer until tomatoes have turned into a sauce.
- Add minced chicken and cook until tomato sauce mixture has been absorbed, let chicken brown. Taste to see if you would like to add any other seasonings of your preference.
- Add mixed vegetables towards the end after the chicken has browned to your liking, you may also add more browning sauce if needed. Set aside chicken to cool.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Sprinkle your surface with lots of flour. Cut dough into 24 pieces. 12 to line the muffin tins and 12 to seal the tops of the patties. Round off dough balls and roll slightly to fit the muffin pan.
- Line muffin pan with dough, fill with meat mixture. Brush edges with egg whites, this will help to keep patties sealed.
- Seal patties with top dough layer. Pinch edges together slightly.
- With a fork, dip in flour and seal edges.
- Brush tops with egg wash.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown
Cheese Roll dough
- ⅓ cup salted butter
- ⅓ cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups flour (more as needed to bring together)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp curry powder (optional)
- Whisk salt and curry powder (if using) into flour.
- Add butter and shortening.
- With a pastry cutter or fork, cut shortening and butter into flour until small pieces are formed throughout the dough. Add about ¾ cup ice cold water to the dough and knead slightly to form a ball.
- This can be done quickly in a food processor by adding dry ingredients, pulsing, adding shortening and butter, pulsing until pea sized form, then adding water until ball forms.
- Place dough on plastic wrap, flatten and shape into a square. Refrigerate for a couple hours or overnight. Remove dough from fridge an 20 minutes before use so it can thaw.