Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- ½ lemon peel
- 2 ½ cups freshly grated coconut (can also be found in freezer aisle)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tsp mixed essence or 1 tsp vanilla + ½ tsp almond extract
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- Sift flour, baking powder, and spices. Rub butter into flour mixture.
- Add lemon peel, coconut, sugar to the mixture. Combine well.
- Add essence to milk. Pour milk into the mixture and mix to form a sticky dough. Add in raisins.
- Drop by spoonful onto baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
Be sure to purchase unsweetened freshly grated coconut. This is different than the sweetened coconut flakes found in the baking aisle of your grocery store. If you’d like to use sweetened coconut flakes, pulse in a food processor to make it fine.
The dough should be very thick and should stand on its own when dropped by the spoonful, similar to a chocolate chip cookie dough. (alicaspepperpot)