Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Minister Edghill says no fare increase but fares already increased

Staff Writer by Staff Writer
August 13, 2022
in News
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Minister of Public Works, Juan Edghill on Wednesday announced the government has not authorised fare increase and is asking commuters not to pay more.

The minister, speaking at a press conference, said “So, whether it is minibuses, taxis, speed boats we have said no. You can only get more if the people want to pay more but we have advised the people, you have no right paying more.”

READ ALSO

CSEC Success Must Open Doors for Guyana’s Youth- PNCR/APNU

Bassant, Kissoon win CBU awards

The minister also said consumers should not pay more when the government has removed Value Added Tax (VAT) from water and electricity and excise tax on imported fuel.

But transportation providers have a different view to the minister. One No. 32 driver said the minister is “living in a bubble.”

“They must come out from their AC offices and Prados and come here and see how prices gone up on everything. Food, gas, cooking oil, rice, sugar, meat, greens, rent; you name it, we paying more.” He asked how the minister expected them to survive, charging the same fare “when everything gone up.”

A commuter said last year she paid $200 (one way) to go to work and now she is paying $300. Her take home pay is $80,000. Asked about her grocery bills, she said as a mother of two (ages 7 and 10), her and husband are depriving themselves of many things to ensure their children can eat.

With tears in her eyes, the clerk, who has six CXC subjects, told Village Voice, things are difficult and this morning (i.e., Thursday) she stirred up some left-over rice with 12 bora she bought for $200, stripped a chicken leg, and made a meal for her children who are home with her husband who works as a security guard at nights.

Responding to the minister’s request for commuters not to pay more, ‘shucking’ her teeth, she asked “So what am I going to do, walk to work and home?”

An elderly woman at the Market, when approached by Village Voice about paying more to commute, said she has to live and the increased pension means nothing now. “I’m drinking black tea now and dem [the government] drinking milk.” A vendor chimed in “with all de oil dem a find we punishing moh bad.”

Village Voice spoke with a public servant who is retiring at year-end after 45 years of service. He said whilst he looks forward to retiring, he knows with reduced income things are going to be tougher. “I look forward to retirement and dread retirement at the same time. What an irony.”

He said the government should be providing public transportation to cushion the cost of increased fares and could afford to. “When they do that they can then dictate fares because it will be their buses, they will be paying the driver and conductor, they will be buying the fuel and servicing the vehicles.”

 
ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

2026 CSEC students (Ministry of Education photo)
News

CSEC Success Must Open Doors for Guyana’s Youth- PNCR/APNU

by Admin
August 21, 2026

The People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR), a major component of A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), has congratulated Guyanese students...

Read moreDetails
dedicated to late mom:  Senior multimedia investigative journalist Mark Bassant.
News

Bassant, Kissoon win CBU awards

by Admin
August 21, 2026

TWO veteran journalists with the Express were among the Caribbean journalists recognised at the 37th Caribbean Broadcasting Union (CBU) Media...

Read moreDetails
Bauxite mining in Guyana
News

Six non-nationals detained over illegal mining operations

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Through sustained efforts by the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC), six non-nationals, including Brazilians and one Chinese national, were...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Non-nationals given green light to practice medicine here


EDITOR'S PICK

OP-ED | Why oil “does spoil” – Guyana’s role in global energy security

March 20, 2022

Charlestown man charged with possession of narcotics, granted $5000 bail 

March 4, 2021
AFC Interim Leader and Chairman David Patterson

AFC warns against Gov’t direct marketing of crude oil

February 15, 2022

Residents Demand Restoration of Farnum Playground

December 13, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice