Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- 1 ½lb boneless salted fish
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (about 2-3 medium)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 wiri wiri peppers, seeds removed, minced (or other hot pepper)
- 3 scallion stems, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Salt to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour + ¼tsp black pepper + ¼tsp salt for coating
- Oil for frying
- Boil saltfish 10 min to remove salt. Drain and boil again an additional 5 min. Drain and flake saltfish with fork until no longer lumpy. Set aside.
- Peel potatoes. Chop into small cubes. Boil until cooked, but not too soft. Potato should not disintegrate when pierced.
- Drain and mash potatoes with fork. Add butter, mix well. Add pepper, scallion, garlic thyme, paprika and salt. Adjust salt and seasonings to suit your taste.
- Add saltfish to potato, mix well. Add egg, mix well.
- Heat oil for frying.
- Roll saltfish into little log/oval shapes. Set aside.
- Place flour in a deep dish with black pepper and salt.
- Roll saltfish cake in flour. Fry until golden brown.