Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

South Africa flooding: ‘I had thought my house was safe’

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
April 17, 2022
in Global
Clean drinking water is scarce (BBC/CAMILLA MILLS)

Clean drinking water is scarce (BBC/CAMILLA MILLS)

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

BBC – Rescue operations are continuing in South Africa in an effort to save the lives of dozens of people who are missing following the floods in KwaZulu-Natal province. With more rain on its way, emergency teams face further peril as they search for survivors.
“My house was here, and behind my house it was six or seven metres away from the river, so I thought I was safe,” says Hero Cangcatha, pointing at the debris that was once his Durban home.
“I’m traumatised because I don’t know what to do, I don’t know where to go, I don’t know the way forward. There’s no way forward in fact.”
Hero is one of about 40,000 people affected by the floods. Officials say 13,500 properties have been damaged, leaving many homeless without shelter, food or water.

Another woman nearby, who said she was too embarrassed to be named, said she must flee before her home is destroyed.
“I need a place to stay now, right now I’m leaving. Just for the safety of my children. It’s too bad, but we thank God that we are alive.”
Nearly 400 people have died and there are fears that number will increase as search and rescue operations continue to find scores of people who are still unaccounted for.
The grim search for survivors is also in jeopardy because some excavation machine drivers have left for the Easter holiday.
One aid organisation, Gift of the Givers, is now appealing for people who know how to operate excavation machinery.
That is now more likely to be a body retrieval operation as opposed to a rescue. But still, residents are digging through the rubble with their bare hands.
There is a frantic search for clean drinking water, a week on since the floods swept through this region – destroying homes, power lines, roads and bridges.
Residents gathered near a burst-water pipe scrambling for every drop of safe water in Amaoti, a township north of Durban.
The queues are long but the people are desperate.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

“There’s no water at home, we can’t eat, we can’t bath. We need the government to help us with relief efforts,” one resident told the BBC, as they filled a plastic container with water to take home.
Meanwhile nearly 300 schools and some health facilities have also been damaged. Some communities are completely cut off because roads and bridges have collapsed. President Cyril Ramaphosa visited the province earlier this week to access the damage and level of need.
He described the floods – the worst in decades – as a “catastrophe of enormous proportions”.
He’s declared the province a disaster area and has promised that the government would “spare no expense” to rebuild the infrastructure and assist all affected families.
Weather experts have said that climate change may be contributing to changing patterns and making such extreme events more frequent.
While residents and critics agree, they have also blamed the government for not maintaining infrastructure or having proper water drainage systems in the province.
These are accusations the government has refuted.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Archbishop Jason Gordon
PHOTO COURTESY FATIMA COLLEGE

Gordon: T&T’s leaders don’t serve


EDITOR'S PICK

Meet Rakesh Premaul: Guyana’s Representative for the Mister Universe Pageant

September 19, 2023

World Radio Day Message

February 13, 2024
Foreign Minister Wang Yi meets with German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock on the sidelines of the 79th session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York on Tuesday. [Photo/Xinhua]

China’s FM: ‘Politicising’ trade issues not helpful to any party

September 25, 2024
L-R President Irfaan Ali, VP Bharrat Jagdeo and Azruddin Mohamed

Mohamed Says PPP Betrayed Jagan’s Legacy

March 29, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice