Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Belarus-Poland border: Putin warns Belarus over gas threat to EU

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
November 14, 2021
in Global
Many children are among the thousands of migrants trying to cross into Poland

Many children are among the thousands of migrants trying to cross into Poland

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(BBC NEWS) Belarus’s threat to cut off gas supplies to Europe would be a breach of contract with Russia, President Vladimir Putin has warned.

In a TV interview, Mr Putin said President Alexander Lukashenko may have made the threat in a fit of temper.

READ ALSO

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

After UAE cuts trade ties, Iran warns Gulf countries against aiding US

Mr Lukashenko is facing new sanctions over a growing migrant crisis at the country’s western border with Poland. EU officials have accused Belarus of provoking the crisis to undermine the bloc’ security, which it denies.

Thousands of people, mostly from Iraq, Syria and Yemen, are at the border with Poland, enduring freezing conditions in the hope of crossing into the EU.

On Saturday, Poland accused Belarusian soldiers of trying to cut through the razor-wire border fence so migrants could pass through.

Earlier, Polish police also said the body of a young Syrian man had been found in the forest not far from the border in the same area. At least eight migrants have been found dead on the Polish side of the border in recent months and an unknown number on the Belarusian side.

Poland has been accused of pushing people back across the border into Belarus, contrary to international rules of asylum. The migrants are mainly young men – but there are also women and children. They are camping in tents just inside Belarus, trapped between Polish guards on one side and Belarusian guards on the other.

Belarusian authorities say they are supplying them with food and heating.

“We have no place to sit, it’s too cold,” one of the migrants told the BBC’s Steve Rosenberg. “We collect wood from trees to make heat. Still we hope, we never give up.”

Belarus is already under EU sanctions following Mr Lukashenko’s disputed re-election last year, which was followed by a violent crackdown on the opposition.

European countries get about a third of their gas supplies from Russia, some via a Russian-owned pipeline running through Belarus. Mr Putin told Rossiya television on Saturday that he had spoken to his Belarus counterpart twice and hadn’t even had a “hint” of the threat to cut off gas supplies. “Of course, in theory, Lukashenko as president of a transit country could order our supplies to be cut to Europe. But this would mean a breach of our gas transit contract and I hope this will not happen,” he said.

“There’s nothing good in this, and I will, of course, talk to him about this subject. Perhaps he said that in a fit of temper.” Thursday’s threat by Belarus came amid the threat of fresh EU sanctions, which could be introduced as early as Monday. Possible measures include stopping international airlines carrying migrants from landing at the airport in the Belarusian capital, Minsk.

Turkey’s national carrier Turkish Airlines has said it will be restricting the sale of tickets on some routes for citizens of Iraq, Syria and Yemen.

Iraq has said it is organising repatriation flights for Iraqi nationals from Belarus.

The EU is also reportedly considering sanctions against the Russian state airline Aeroflot for transporting migrants to Belarus, an allegation Aeroflot denies.

Belarus’ Belavia national carrier was in May banned from EU skies after a Ryanair flight was forced to divert to Minsk and a dissident journalist arrested.

Mr Lukashenko’s comments raised fresh fears amid worsening natural gas shortages and rising prices in Europe.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Members of the 16th Chinese Medical Team to Nepal work at B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital in Bharatpur, central-southern Nepal. /CFP
Global

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

by Admin
August 19, 2026

For 86-year-old Dai Guogui, managing diabetes alongside heart disease as well as a history of suffering strokes was once an...

Read moreDetails
Iran has questioned Gulf countries' assistance in the US attacks on its territory. /CCTV
Global

After UAE cuts trade ties, Iran warns Gulf countries against aiding US

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Iran's armed forces warned Gulf countries against assisting the US military on Wednesday, hours after the United Arab Emirates announced...

Read moreDetails
A health worker sprays disinfectant in a freshly dug grave for the body of Jacques Lobo Dhena, who died of Ebola, in Bunia, Ituri province, eastern Congo, Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2026. (AP Photo/Dieudonne Dirole)
Global

Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst with over 2,300 dead

by Admin
August 17, 2026

BUNIA, Congo (AP) — Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak has now killed over 2,300 people and become the deadliest outbreak of the disease...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

A month without clean water in Canada's north


EDITOR'S PICK

The Middle East remains the staging post for conflict

October 14, 2023
Mr.  Gerald Perreira.  On behalf of the National Directorate - OVP

HANDS OFF MADURO/HANDS OFF VENEZUELA – Gerald Perreira

December 2, 2025
Lunisa Peters

Woman killed by Ex after phone call from another man

September 10, 2020
US Secretary of State, Michael Pompeo and his team meeting with Caricom Secretary-General, Irwin LaRocque and his team

Caricom, Pompeo discuss trade, Covid-19

September 20, 2020

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice