Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Tokyo 2020: Athletes ‘probably very worried’ after positive Covid test in village 

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
July 18, 2021
in Sports
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(BBC SPORT) The chief of the Tokyo Olympics accepts athletes are “probably very worried”, after a Games-related organiser became the first person to test positive for Covid-19 in the athletes’ village.

The case, who is now quarantining in a hotel for 14 days, is one of 15 Games-related cases reported on Saturday.

READ ALSO

All-round Keemo Paul downs Patriots as Kingsmen get off the bottom

ICC mulls Gandhi Jayanti start for 2027 World Cup

The organiser tested negative upon arrival in Japan before returning a positive test in the village screening. The organisers have previously said the village “must be the safest place”.

“Athletes who are coming to Japan are probably very worried. I understand that,” said Games chief Seiko Hashimoto. “That is the reason why we need to make full disclosure.

“We are doing everything to prevent any Covid outbreaks. If we end up with an outbreak we will make sure we have a plan in place to respond.”

The Games, postponed for a year due to the global pandemic, is being held mostly without spectators and under tight quarantine rules, with Tokyo currently in a state of emergency, until at least 22 August, amid rising Covid-19 numbers.

Athletes, who will be tested daily, are starting to arrive in Tokyo, with the Olympics running from 23 July to 8 August.

‘We are well aware of the scepticism’

The Japanese public is largely opposed to the Games, with a petition against the event getting more than 450,000 signatures this month.

However, in a news conference on Saturday, IOC president Thomas Bach said he “appealed to the Japanese people to welcome the athletes”.

“We are well aware of the scepticism a number of people have here in Japan,” said Bach.

“We ask and invite the Japanese people, humbly, to welcome and support the athletes from around the world.

“The Japanese can have this confidence [of a safe and secure Games] and we will try to continue this dialogue with them, knowing we will not succeed 100%.

“But we are also confident once the Japanese people see Japanese athletes successfully performing in the Olympic Games then the attitude may become less emotional.”

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Sports

All-round Keemo Paul downs Patriots as Kingsmen get off the bottom

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Jamaica Kingsmen registered their second win of the season and got themselves off the bottom of the points table, beating...

Read moreDetails
Sports

ICC mulls Gandhi Jayanti start for 2027 World Cup

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The ODI World Cup next year in Africa is likely to begin on October 2, 2027 — Gandhi Jayanti Day....

Read moreDetails
Sports

TRIDENTS STORM TO THE TOP WITH WIN OVER KINGS

by Admin
August 17, 2026

Barbados Tridents remained unbeaten in the Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL) 2026 with a nine-run victory over the Saint...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Olivier Giroud: Chelsea striker seals AC Milan move 


EDITOR'S PICK

July 9 may be the shortest day ever in history, scientists say

July 9, 2025

COVID-19 is deadly, don’t expose yourself and others

September 4, 2020

“Flooding in Guyana Highlights Need for Improved Infrastructure and Environmental Protection”

December 28, 2022

Neglect Deepens in Great Diamond as Residents Pay the Price for Missing Services

March 23, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice