Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
…says he was member of search party that found bodies of teens
By Clifford Stanley
A 41-year-old West Berbice man is accusing the police of detaining him, seizing his cell phone and denying him access to a lawyer for a period of over seventy-two hours while purporting to be investigating him as a suspect in the murder of the two Henry boys who were killed in September last.
Seon Griffith of Rosignol, West Coast Berbice said that he was arrested by police on December 28th last , taken to the Fort Wellington Police Station, transferred to Georgetown and held at Eve Leary and then locked up in the Brickdam Police Station lockups before being released on $30,000 bail on Old Year’s Day for something he said he knows absolutely anything about.
The police he said advised him that he has to report to Eve Leary every Tuesday.
They are still in possession of his cell phone, he said.
Griffith disclosed that he was a member of the search party which discovered the remains of the two murdered teenagers: Isiah and Joel Henry aback of the Cotton Tree Village on Sunday September 6th last.
“I knew one of the boy’s father and he asked me to assist in a search party for the two boys,” he said.
“I knew Gladstone Henry and was concerned about what had happened to the two youths and I decided to get involved in the search for them. I was there when they found the bodies. That’s all I know or can say”
He said that he recounted all of this to the police who had arrested him but they seemed bent on getting him to implicate himself.
“At one point they put swabs in my mouth for some sort of lab test and I complied.”
“I asked them to allow me to get a lawyer and they refused to allow me to contact a Lawyer. They seized my cell phone and forced me to give them the pin # to open it. At one time I told them that I was willing to undergo a lie detector test because I was innocent of any wrong doing but they refused.
Griffith said that the Police did not threaten him or beat him but he was concerned that his rights to legal help had been refused for all the time he was in detention.
He said that the Police had told him that he would have to report to them at Eve Leary at 0900 hrs tomorrow January 5th and he will comply.
He added: “I however want people to know what is happening to me. I have done nothing wrong and it’s not fair for me to be locked up and victimized for something I don’t know anything about.”
The man who is an employee of GUYSUCOs Blairmont Operations was up to late this evening trying to get the legal support he feels he needs before he goes to the Police tomorrow.