Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Ethiopia to begin ‘final phase’ of offensive in Tigray region, says PM

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
November 26, 2020
in Global
File photo: Ethopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed attends a signing ceremony with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in Addis Ababa, Ethopia, December 7, 2019. Reuters/Tiksa Negeri

File photo: Ethopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed attends a signing ceremony with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in Addis Ababa, Ethopia, December 7, 2019. Reuters/Tiksa Negeri

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
File photo: Ethopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed attends a signing ceremony with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in Addis Ababa, Ethopia, December 7, 2019. Reuters/Tiksa Negeri

ADDIS ABABA/NAIROBI (Reuters) – The Ethiopian military will begin the “final phase” of an offensive in the rebellious northern Tigray region, Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed said on Thursday, hours after an ultimatum for Tigray forces to surrender expired.

The government gave the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) 72 hours on Sunday to lay down their arms or face an assault on Mekelle, the regional capital city of 500,000 people.

READ ALSO

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

Reuters was not immediately able to reach the TPLF forces for comment. Claims by all sides have been impossible to verify because phone and internet connections to the region are down and access to the area is tightly controlled.

“The 72-hour period granted to the criminal TPLF clique to surrender peacefully is now over and our law enforcement campaign has reached its final stage,” Abiy tweeted, adding that civilians would be spared and that thousands of fighters had already surrendered.

“The last peaceful gate which remained open for the TPLF clique to walk through has now been firmly closed,” Abiy said.

Abiy called on the people of Mekelle to “disarm, stay at home and stay away from military targets”.

“Our National Defence Forces have carefully devised a strategy to bring the TPLF criminal clique to justice without harming innocent civilians, heritage sites, places of worship, development institutions and property,” he added.

African envoys went to Ethiopia to plead for peace on Wednesday, hours before the ultimatum was to expire. Rights groups fear any assault could bring huge civilian casualties.

Thousands of people are already believed to have died and there has been widespread destruction from aerial bombardment and ground fighting since the war began on Nov. 4. Around 42,000 refugees have fled over the border to Sudan. TPLF rockets have hit neighbouring Eritrea.

On Tuesday, Human Rights Watch said both sides must avoid putting civilians in danger. The government’s warning did not absolve it “of its duty to take constant care to protect civilians when carrying out military operations in urban areas”.

“We are also concerned by reports that the TPLF has deployed its forces in heavily populated areas. They need to ensure the safety of civilians under their control,” it said.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Global

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Britain paid £20 million to slave owners in 1834 and not one farthing to the people they had owned. The...

Read moreDetails
Nareeta-Nandkumar (Guyana Chronicle photo)
Global

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

by Admin
August 19, 2026

A young Guyanese woman is preparing to take part in an international space initiative bringing together girls from more than...

Read moreDetails
Members of the 16th Chinese Medical Team to Nepal work at B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital in Bharatpur, central-southern Nepal. /CFP
Global

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

by Admin
August 19, 2026

For 86-year-old Dai Guogui, managing diabetes alongside heart disease as well as a history of suffering strokes was once an...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
IMAGE COPYRIGHTREUTERS

Michael Flynn: Trump pardons ex-national security adviser


EDITOR'S PICK

Race Relations, Honourary Doctorate, and Sports Management in Guyana

January 21, 2023

Oil workers win workplace respect

January 16, 2022
Chairperson of the People's National Congress Reform (PNCR) and former Minister of Health, Volda Lawrence

Lawrence released on $100,000 station bail

October 13, 2020
Minister of Tourism and International Business Senator Lisa Cummins

Barbados to make bigger play in global shipping industry

January 30, 2022

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice