Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Prison changes coming, says minister

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
October 29, 2020
in Global
Minister of Home Affairs Wilfred Abrahams (Barbados Today)

Minister of Home Affairs Wilfred Abrahams (Barbados Today)

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Minister of Home Affairs Wilfred Abrahams (Barbados Today)

Persons on remand at HMP Dodds will soon be able to access educational and developmental programmes.
That is according to Minister of Home Affairs Wilfred Abrahams, who has revealed that Government is in the process of relooking and revamping the way in which accused persons on remand at the penal institution are being treated.

His comments have come just one day after attorney-at-law Lalu Hanuman chastised the judiciary for not allowing persons on remand to access the prison’s many programmes.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

“When somebody is on remand, they’re not entitled to anything. They’re not entitled to any educational process in the prison, they’re not given any sort of support, they’re just left there to rot. Once you’re convicted you have art programmes, you have carpentry, you have all kinds of things available to you but on remand you have nothing,” Hanuman said after the jury delivered a not guilty verdict in favour of his client Lionel Wilson who was accused of raping a 73-year-old woman and spent four years on remand awaiting trial.

Just last month, High Court Judge Randall Worrell also called for persons doing lengthy remand stints to have access to educational programmes.
He said it was necessary due to the backlog of cases.

“…If we are going to say that there’s an inbuilt delay in the system of at least two to three years …it must mean that something must be done for those who have to suffer in the delay,” said Justice Worrell at the time.

But in an interview with Barbados TODAY this morning, Abrahams gave the assurance that changes were coming.
“Now I have heard the concerns articulated by the attorneys with respect to their clients who have been on remand being treated differently from those in the general population. The difficulty is that if you are on remand then you are not really supposed to be included in the general population, but that does not address the court issue.

“The court issue is for the time that the State has custody of people we should be trying to hold them in the best possible situation. So whatever programmes they are for persons in jail, or who are serving a sentence, they should be some sort of similar or complementary programme for those who are on remand, because at the end of the day even if you are found guilty and you serve a sentence the aim is not simply to punish you, it is to help you to come back out and be a productive member of society and to prepare you for that,” Abrahams said.

The minister, under whose responsibility the prison falls, promised that a “comprehensive” review of the prison would soon be undertaken.
He said once that was done, Government would be in a better position to decide what improvements needed to be made.

“I believe that we have a responsibility to all who are in the care of the prison service to provide opportunities for them for self-advancement and it is something that we are looking at. I’ll probably make a more definitive statement on that sometime shortly, but we are going through all of the programmes at the prison, looking at what is offered to get the most comprehensive programme possible to assist inmates and those on remand and to facilitate their reintegration into society,” Abrahams pointed out. (Barbados Today)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Police officers pack documents from DSS after a raid on its office on Kathleen Warner Drive, La Horquetta, on Tuesday.

Cops seize $6.4m in latest DSS raid


EDITOR'S PICK

A Voepass ATR-72 plane similar to the one that crashed (file picture)

Plane crash in Brazil’s São Paulo state kills all 62 on board

August 9, 2024

OP-ED: Black Men and Policing in Guyana: A Legacy of Brutality and Discrimination

March 24, 2023

Handouts are not policy, PPP Government Accused of Unfair ‘handouts’ Which Leave Youth, Elderly…out in the Cold

August 11, 2025
The CXC® team engaging Minister of Education Priya Manickchand and officials of the Ministry

CXC team in Guyana to announce CSEC, CAPE results on Thursday

October 13, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice