Saturday, August 15, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Muted microphones for Thursday’s final US presidential debate

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
October 20, 2020
in Global, Politics
The first debate between Trump and Biden was marred by Trump’s frequent interruptions and bad-tempered exchanges between the two men [File: Morry Gash/Pool via EPA]

The first debate between Trump and Biden was marred by Trump’s frequent interruptions and bad-tempered exchanges between the two men [File: Morry Gash/Pool via EPA]

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The first debate between Trump and Biden was marred by Trump’s frequent interruptions and bad-tempered exchanges between the two men [File: Morry Gash/Pool via EPA]
Organisers say the move will avoid the chaos of last month’s first encounter, when Trump repeatedly interrupted Biden.

US President Donald Trump and Democratic challenger Joe Biden will have their microphones muted for parts of their final debate on Thursday to allow each candidate a block of uninterrupted time to speak and avoid the rancour of the two candidates’ first encounter.

READ ALSO

Foreigners Reap Guyana’s Gold While Citizens Struggle

U.S. Moves to Strip Kansas Man of Citizenship Over Alleged False Identity

The Commission on Presidential Debates, the sponsor of the televised debate in Nashville, said changes were necessary after the bad-tempered first debate.

Trump repeatedly interrupted Biden during the encounter in Cleveland on September 29, and the discussion ended up in name-calling and insults.

“We realize, after discussions with both campaigns, that neither campaign may be totally satisfied with the measures announced today,” the commission said in a statement. “We are comfortable that these actions strike the right balance and that they are in the interest of the American people, for whom these debates are held.”

For this week’s 90-minute debate, the organisers will give each candidate two minutes of uninterrupted time at the beginning of each 15-minute segment of the debate. NBC News correspondent Kristen Welker will moderate.

“The only candidate whose microphone will be open during these two-minute periods is the candidate who has the floor under the rules,” the commission said.

Trump’s campaign objected to the change, but said he would still take part.

“President Trump is committed to debating Joe Biden regardless of last-minute rule changes from the biased commission in their latest attempt to provide advantage to their favoured candidate,” campaign manager Bill Stepien said.

The commission is a non-partisan body.

Trump later told reporters he would take part.

“I will participate but it’s very unfair that they changed the topics and it’s very unfair again that we have an anchor who’s totally biased,” he claimed.

The Biden campaign did not immediately respond to a Reuters’ request for comment on the latest developments.

Uninterrupted time

Thursday’s proposed topics, include families, climate change and race, but Trump’s camp has said the discussion should focus more on foreign policy.

Biden’s campaign said both sides has previously agreed to let the moderators choose the subjects. It said Trump wanted to avoid discussing his stewardship of the coronavirus pandemic, which surveys show is the top issue for voters.

“As usual, the president is more concerned with the rules of a debate than he is getting a nation in crisis the help it needs,” Biden spokesman TJ Ducklo said.

Trump, who was admitted to hospital with COVID-19 in early October, backed out of the second scheduled debate, which was supposed to take place last Thursday, because it would have been in a virtual format. Instead, the two men broadcast rival town-hall sessions.

With just two weeks before the presidential election on November 3, Biden has a strong lead nationwide, although the race is closer in some key states.

More than 30 million people have already cast their ballot through early voting. (Aljazeera, Reuters)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Global

Foreigners Reap Guyana’s Gold While Citizens Struggle

by Admin
August 15, 2026

Dear Editor I am begging you to help Guyanese like myself find answers based on some form of logic, years...

Read moreDetails
US Passport (Google Photo)
Global

U.S. Moves to Strip Kansas Man of Citizenship Over Alleged False Identity

by Admin
August 13, 2026

The United States government has filed a civil action seeking to revoke the naturalized citizenship of an Olathe man born...

Read moreDetails
Containers are handled at a foreign trade terminal in Qingdao, east China's Shandong Province, August 13, 2026. /VCG
Global

US scholar questions assumptions behind ‘China squeeze’ narrative

by Admin
August 13, 2026

Recent discussions in some Western media and policy circles have promoted the idea of a so-called China squeeze, arguing that...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
More than 220 people were killed when US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed in 1998 (Reuters)

Trump set to remove Sudan from state sponsors of terrorism list


EDITOR'S PICK

The Office, Not the Man: Ali’s “Continuity” Fiction and Article 127 Breach

July 4, 2026
Acting Chief Justice Navindra A. Singh

High Court to Rule Friday on Forward Guyana Ballot Challenge

August 27, 2025
GECOM Chair, ret'd Justice Claudette Singh

‘The Claudette Singh tapes’ – more deception in national life?

November 7, 2022
Dr. Henry Jeffrey

‘It’s the institutions stupid’

October 26, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice