Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Afro-American shot in Wisconsin ‘will need miracle’ to walk again 

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
August 26, 2020
in Global
Jacob Blake

Jacob Blake, 29, was shot several times

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Jacob Blake
Jacob Blake, 29, was shot several times

BBC-The lawyers for the family of a black man shot in the back by police in the US state of Wisconsin say he will need a “miracle” to walk again. 

Jacob Blake, 29, was shot several times opening the door of his car in Kenosha. At least one of the bullets went through his spinal cord, lawyers said. The shooting of Mr Blake sparked protests, violent at times. The governor of Wisconsin is sending more National Guard troops to Kenosha.

READ ALSO

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

As a result of the partial or complete severing of his spinal cord, Mr Blake is paralysed, with doctors unsure if he will recover the use of his legs.

What we know about Jacob Blake’s shooting

“His family believe in miracles, but the medical diagnosis right now is that he is paralysed and, because those bullets severed his spinal cord and shattered some of his vertebrae, it is going to take a miracle for Jacob Blake Jr to ever walk again,” lawyer Ben Crump told a press conference on Tuesday. The 29-year-old, shot as his young sons sat in the car, was also left with holes in his stomach, an arm injury and damage to his kidney and liver. Most of his colon and small intestine had to be removed, his lawyers told reporters.

His mother Julia Jackson told the press conference her son had been “fighting for his life”, but said if he “knew what was going on as far as that goes, the violence and the destruction, he would be very unpleased”.

Media captionJacob Blake’s mother: “Let’s use our hearts, love and intelligence to work together”

Pictures from the city of about 100,000 on the south-western shore of Lake Michigan show buildings and cars damaged following two nights of protests against police violence.

On Tuesday, Governor Tony Evers said he would send more National Guard troops to Kenosha to protect state buildings and support first responders and firefighters. A state of emergency has also been declared in Wisconsin.

Mr Blake’s shooting comes as the US grapples with the treatment of African-Americans at the hands of law enforcement, as well as wider questions about racism in society, since the death in police custody in Minneapolis of another black man, George Floyd, in May. In her speech, Ms Jackson addressed racism directly and called for “healing”. “Do you understand what is going to happen when we fall – because a house that is against each other cannot stand.”

What do we know about the shooting? 

Police say they were responding to a domestic incident when they went to the site of Sunday’s shooting but have given few other details. So far it is unclear who called the police, how many officers were involved, and what happened before the shooting.

Footage of the incident show Mr Blake opening the door and leaning into the car, at which point one officer grabs his shirt and opens fire. Seven shots can be heard in the video, as witnesses shout and scream.

Mr Blake’s fiancée Laquisha Booker, said the children – who witnessed everything as they sat in the back of the car – were screaming as their father was shot.

Lawyers for Mr Blake said he had been trying to “de-escalate a domestic incident”. Witnesses said the same to local media. Court records show there was an open arrest warrant against Mr Blake on sexual assault and domestic abuse charges but police have not said if officers were aware of this when they responded to the call on Sunday. Wisconsin’s Department of Justice is investigating the incident in Kenosha, while the officers involved have been placed on administrative leave. A petition calling for them to be charged has garnered tens of thousands of signatures.

Mr Blake’s father has said he does not have confidence in the investigation.

“Anybody that is white, that is doing an investigation about a black young man that was shot seven times in his back, and haven’t come up with an answer or a comment at this point, is not welcome,” he told reporters.

What is the latest with the protests? 

Within hours of Mr Blake’s shooting, hundreds of people had marched on Kenosha’s police headquarters. Cars were later set alight, and police urged 24-hour businesses to consider closing because of “numerous” calls about armed robberies and shots being fired.

On Monday, Governor Evers called up the National Guard to aid local police and imposed a night-time curfew on Kenosha.

But some ignored the curfew, and police used tear gas to try to force protesters – some of whom were throwing water bottles – to disperse. Police, backed up by the National Guard, also used rubber bullets and smoke bombs, protesters said.

Some demonstrators were seen attacking cars and property with baseball bats, news agency Reuters reported, while others set cars alight. Protests have also spread to a number of other cities, including Portland, Oregon and Minneapolis, Minnesota.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Global

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Britain paid £20 million to slave owners in 1834 and not one farthing to the people they had owned. The...

Read moreDetails
Nareeta-Nandkumar (Guyana Chronicle photo)
Global

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

by Admin
August 19, 2026

A young Guyanese woman is preparing to take part in an international space initiative bringing together girls from more than...

Read moreDetails
Members of the 16th Chinese Medical Team to Nepal work at B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital in Bharatpur, central-southern Nepal. /CFP
Global

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

by Admin
August 19, 2026

For 86-year-old Dai Guogui, managing diabetes alongside heart disease as well as a history of suffering strokes was once an...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo

U.N. Security Council president dismisses U.S. sanctions move on Iran 


EDITOR'S PICK

UN body faults ‘piecemeal’ work to end racial discrimination

October 4, 2022

Human Services Ministry partners with Community Policing Groups in Fight Against Human Trafficking

October 14, 2023
AFC Member of Parliament David Patterson

When will we learn?- MP Patterson

June 28, 2023
Nicolás Maduro, Venezuela’s president, at a rally in support of his government’s claim over the Guyanese territory in December. The referendum result was disputed by observers. Photograph: Anadolu/Getty

GUYANA | Labour Movement Called to Defend Guyana as Venezuela Defies ICJ with Elections

May 10, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice