Sunday, August 23, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

PM: Spike in sex crimes against children horrendous

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
December 2, 2020
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley makes a point during his interview on CNC3’s The Morning Brew yesterday. (NICOLE DRAYTON)

Trinidad and Tobago Guardian – Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley says the apparent current upsurge in sex crimes against children and young girls in particular is horrendous.

However, he says the number of cases being reported to the T&T Police Service is as a result of the systems that are being put in place to help protect victims.

READ ALSO

US Recalls Granola and Outshine Fruit Bars Over Safety Risks

The Night of Fire: When Haiti’s Enslaved Rose and Changed History

In the past seven days, 11 cases of sexual assault against minors have been heard in the local courts.

On Monday, five men appeared before courts in Port-of-Spain and San Fernando respectively, to answer to various such charges and yesterday, two more appeared.

Rowley was asked about this situation during an interview on CNC3’s The Morning Brew with Natalee Legore yesterday.

“I think it is the level of activity that exists now and the systems that are in place now that brings out some of these things in the way that they are coming out. A lot of it was happening before,” Rowley said.

However, the PM described the situation as “horrendous.”

“I think what you are seeing here is that some of the systems are working and wrinkling out and identifying,” he said.

With respect to the ongoing national conversation about education reform, Rowley said there has been a lot of talk about getting rid of the Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA) examination but said so far, he has not heard a suitable replacement for it.

“I have not heard yet what is the replacement, because there has to be some process by which you move children from the primary schools to the secondary schools,” he said.

Rowley said Government currently is looking at finding usable options to address the education system.

He also defended the Government’s handling of the scholarship programme, where scholarships available were cut from 400 to 100.

“One hundred will get the scholarship as you know it and 400 who will be supported separately on a means test, so at the end of the year 500 will be helped against 400 by using that new system,” he said.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Global

US Recalls Granola and Outshine Fruit Bars Over Safety Risks

by Admin
August 23, 2026

Consumers are being urged to check their cupboards and freezers after two food recalls in the United States involving a...

Read moreDetails
Global

The Night of Fire: When Haiti’s Enslaved Rose and Changed History

by Admin
August 23, 2026

(RootsPreserved) On the night of August 22, 1791, the enslaved people of Saint-Domingue rose up — and lit the fire...

Read moreDetails
Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Next Post

GPL, MARAD agree to short-term preventative measures to protect submarine cable


EDITOR'S PICK

An image captured by the ESA's Sentinel-2 satellites on August 29, 2025, annotated by Newsweek, shows the deployment of possible P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft to San Juan airport in Puerto Rico as part of the Trump administration surge of U.S. Navy forces to the Caribbean region. Copernicus

What Large-Scale US Military Action Against Venezuela Could Look Like

September 3, 2025

WORD OF THE DAY: NUDNIK

June 21, 2023
kola tree

Health Benefits of Bitter Kola

April 19, 2026
Former President David Granger

Security pacts must be underpinned by sound national defence strategy 

September 6, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice