Saturday, August 22, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

High Court asked to free Mingo

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
August 27, 2020
in News
Returning Officer (RO) for District Four, Clairmont Mingo

Returning Officer (RO) for District Four, Clairmont Mingo

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Clairmont Mingo
Returning Officer for District Four, Clairmont Mingo

…lawyers file habeas corpus proceedings

Lawyers for District Four Returning Officer, Clairmont Mingo have approached the High Court seeking an order for his immediate release from police custody.

Mingo was detained on Tuesday on allegations of forgery. Since then his lawyers have had difficulties accessing him and police have been very tight-lipped regarding their investigations. Two other staff members of GECOM were arrested in relation to the said probe.

READ ALSO

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

Village Voice was told that Mingo’s lawyers, Roysdale Forde and Darren Wade filed habeas corpus proceeding challenging his detention. The matter is to be heard at 13:00hrs Thursday before Justice Brassington Reynolds. Waveney Mingo who swore to the affidavits said her husband’s fundamental rights are being breached with his continued detention.

The allegation against Mingo was brought against him and People’s National Reform (PNC) Chairperson, Volda Lawrence by Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport, Charles Ramson Jr, for their alleged involvement in a forged Elections document with the intent to defraud the public, contrary to the criminal law Offences Act.

While Lawrence had attended Court on Monday, Mingo was yet to be served and was only located by the police Tuesday. Attorney Wade Tuesday evening had said “…we don’t know what is the police next move or what they’re doing; we don’t know the current state of affairs as it relates to our client, the police did not give us that respect that is usually given when attorneys visit their client at a police station.”

Apart from the police, Wade is disappointed with the actions of special prosecutor in the case, Glenn Hanoman who was present at the police station but refused to speak up about the police’s silence on the matter. According to Wade, Hanoman claimed that he was coincidentally at the police station for another matter and was otherwise engaged. Wade believes that Hanoman, being the special prosecutor in the case, should made an effort to address the situation. “He’s the special prosecutor in the case, so whether or not you’re here for another matter, if Mr. Mingo is there you must have some interest or somebody must come to you and say ‘your man is here’… he should have stepped in and allowed his brother, which is me, to be able to see the client. [He should have] said to the police ‘you cannot do this’, [you cannot] interview the suspect without his lawyer, this is inappropriate, it is wrong, it is unlawful’,” Wade argued.

In addition, Wade said that it is “disgraceful” that the charges against Mingo, which are private criminal charges, were brought before the Court with insufficient evidence and, the prosecutors, knowing this, have decided to rely on the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) to take over the proceedings. He said that, under normal circumstances, if the DPP takes up the matter and there is insufficient evidence, the case is dismissed. However, Wade said that, under the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) administration, the DPP is going the extra mile to pin Mingo and others to the alleged criminal activities. “Mr. Charles Ramson should have gotten his evidence before filing the charges. That is very unusual, the approach of the police is very unusual,” the attorney said. Mingo remains in custody with another individual said to be a registration officer.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

L-R Then Region 10 Regional Chairman Sharma Solomon and then Prime  Minister Sam Hinds signing the Agreement- August 21, 2012
News

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Fourteen years after the people of Linden staged a 33-day protest that forced the Government to reverse a controversial electricity...

Read moreDetails
Sharma Solomon MP (APNU)
News

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

by Admin
August 21, 2026

More than two centuries after thousands of enslaved Africans rose against the brutal plantation system in Demerara, the legacy of...

Read moreDetails
News

GRSI Makes Aviation History, Opens New Lifeline to Guyana’s Hinterland

by Admin
August 21, 2026

A new chapter has opened in Guyana’s aviation history with Guyana Rotorcraft Services Inc. (GRSI) becoming the first domestic aviation...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Residents along the West Berbice protested Mingo's detention

Berbicians protest arrest of Mingo


EDITOR'S PICK

West Indies Squad Named for T20IS and CG United ODIS VS Bangladesh- Rovman Powell the new T20I Vice Captain

June 30, 2022
Former Prime Minister, and First President Moses Nagamootoo

Sugar Workers Will See Through PPP Gaffe- Fmr PM Nagamootoo

June 22, 2025
Foreign Minister Senator Kamina Johnson-Smith

JAMAICA Talks to the UN on Guns, Drugs, Cuba, Haiti and Climate Change

October 1, 2023

First Lady gifts family $15.3M home for Christmas amid call for accountability

December 20, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice