Saturday, August 22, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

U.S. Supreme Court dismisses Trump immigration rule dispute 

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
March 10, 2021
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
FILE PHOTO: A man walks at the U.S. Supreme Court building in Washington, U.S. November 10, 2020. REUTERS/Hannah McKay/File Photo

(Reuters) – At the urging of President Joe Biden’s administration, the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a dispute over the legality of one of former President Donald Trump’s hardline immigration rules that barred immigrants deemed likely to require government benefits from obtaining legal permanent residency.

Biden, who has criticized Trump’s immigration approach, is widely expected to dump the policy known as the “public charge” rule. A coalition of immigrant rights groups that along with New York, Connecticut and Vermont had challenged the rule said Tuesday’s action clears the way for the policy, which they denounced as an illegal “wealth test,” to no longer be enforced.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

The justices on Feb. 22 had agreed to hear an appeal filed by Trump’s administration of a ruling by the Manhattan-based 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that the rule likely violated federal immigration and administrative law by impermissibly expanding the definition of who counts as a “public charge” and greatly increasing the number of people who would be rejected for residency.

Two other cases involving the rule that had been pending before the high court were also dismissed. Those challenging the rule agreed with Biden’s administration that the litigation should be thrown out. The administration made the request earlier on Tuesday.

“Immigrant families can now access life-saving healthcare, food and housing assistance for which they are eligible without fear that they will lose the chance to obtain lawful permanent residence, because the actions today mean that the harmful Trump public charge rule will again be blocked,” the groups said in a statement.

Trump’s hardline stance toward immigration was a hallmark of his presidency.

Primarily at issue in the various challenges filed in federal courts across the country was which immigrants would be eligible for legal permanent residency, known as a “green card.” U.S. immigration law has long required officials to exclude people likely to become a “public charge” from permanent residency.

U.S. guidelines in place for the past two decades had said immigrants likely to become primarily dependent on direct cash assistance or long-term institutionalization, in a nursing home for example, at public expense would be barred.

Trump’s policy expanded the public charge bar to anyone deemed likely to receive a much wider range of benefits for more than an aggregate of 12 months over any 36-month period including the Medicaid healthcare program, housing and food assistance.

In the New York case, a federal judge blocked the rule in 2019, and last August the 2nd Circuit upheld that decision.

Separately, the Chicago-based 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals last June upheld an injunction against the rule there. The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in December upheld injunctions involving 18 Democratic-led states and the District of Columbia.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
FILE PHOTO: Britain's Queen Elizabeth, Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex pose for a picture with some of Queen's Young Leaders at a Buckingham Palace reception following the final Queen's Young Leaders Awards Ceremony, in London

Queen Elizabeth says saddened by Harry and Meghan's experiences 


EDITOR'S PICK

Top Navalny allies arrested as protesters prepare to defy Putin 

April 21, 2021
People search for victims in a building hit by Israeli bombing in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip, November 11, 2023. /CFP

Chinese envoy urges immediate ceasefire between Israel, Palestine

November 12, 2023

15 countries in the region met to address wildfires through an integrated approach

November 4, 2025

Private sector Commission pleased with budget

February 14, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice