Monday, May 18, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

INDECOM probes fatal police shooting of woman as body camera debate reignites

Admin by Admin
May 18, 2026
in Regional
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) in Jamaica has launched a probe into the fatal police shooting of 45-year-old Latoya Bulgin, also known as “Buju,” in Granville, St James, on Sunday, May 17, 2026, as renewed scrutiny builds over the absence of body-worn cameras and rising police fatal shooting figures.

The woman was reportedly killed during an altercation with police officers who were in the area monitoring a protest that had been staged to highlight the killing of a 17-year-old boy in a separate police shooting incident a week earlier. According to early reports, tensions escalated during the demonstration before the confrontation between the woman and law enforcement, resulting in the shooting.

READ ALSO

Haitian Flag Day celebrates history, pride and resilience across the diaspora

CARICOM Pursues New Global Partnerships in Uncertain Times

INDECOM said it was notified and has begun an independent investigation after CCTV footage of the incident circulated widely on social media.

In a statement issued Monday, the commission said citizen-recorded video continues to play a critical role in modern oversight of law enforcement.

“The emergence of video evidence by citizens in matters involving the use of force by law enforcement continues to underscore the importance of technology and independent visual documentation in modern policing oversight,” INDECOM said.

It added that such footage helps investigators assess “the conduct of all parties involved, as well as assessing the necessity and proportionality of the use of force,” while also assisting police leadership in making “timely and informed administrative and operational decisions” following critical incidents.

INDECOM confirmed that no body-worn cameras were issued to or worn by the three officers involved, who were reportedly conducting crowd control duties in relation to a protest at the time of the shooting. The commission has urged witnesses, including occupants of the vehicle driven by Bulgin, to come forward with information and additional footage to support the investigation.

The shooting has also drawn political reaction. Member of Parliament for St James West Central Marlene Malahoo Forte said officers should face immediate consequences based on initial observations at the scene, while cautioning that due process must be followed.

“I think this one doesn’t look so good,” she told Gleaner reporters. “Can’t prejudge it, but it doesn’t look good.”

The case has also reignited debate over body-worn cameras, particularly after recent comments from National Security Minister Dr. Horace Chang questioning their effectiveness in armed encounters.

Chang has previously said, “It (a body-worn camera) is of very little value,” arguing that in gunfights officers are focused on survival rather than recording footage.

He added, “You put a camera on your chest, you start shooting at somebody, they start shooting at you, you going to dive for cover,” and described expectations for cameras in high-intensity operations as “a crazy idea” when confronting heavily armed suspects.

Chang has maintained that body cameras are more useful in lower-risk policing scenarios such as public order situations and routine enforcement activities.

However, oversight bodies and human rights advocates have consistently pushed back, arguing that body-worn cameras remain essential for accountability even in high-risk operations.

INDECOM itself has repeatedly emphasized the value of video evidence, particularly in reconstructing the sequence of events in fatal police encounters.

The latest incident comes against the backdrop of persistently high levels of lethal force by the security forces.

INDECOM reported that Bulgin’s death brings the total number of fatal shootings in May 2026 to 15 people killed by the security forces, including a double fatal shooting in Hague, Trelawny, on May 16. Year-to-date, 130 people have been fatally shot by the security forces, compared with 129 during the same period in 2025.

The commission also confirmed that no body-worn cameras were issued to or worn by the officers involved in the Granville incident.

caribbeannationalweekly.com

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Regional

Haitian Flag Day celebrates history, pride and resilience across the diaspora

by Admin
May 18, 2026

Haitians across the world are celebrating Haitian Flag Day today, May 18, marking one of the country’s most important national...

Read moreDetails
Assistant Secretary-General, Foreign and Community Relations, Ms. Elizabeth Solomon
News

CARICOM Pursues New Global Partnerships in Uncertain Times

by Admin
May 16, 2026

The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) is aggressively diversifying its international relationships and expanding South-South cooperation in response to mounting global instability,...

Read moreDetails
Former president Raúl Castro, pictured on 1 May 2025, has officially retired but remains the most potent figure in Cuban politics. Photograph: Norlys Perez/Reuters
Regional

CUBA | Washington Targets 94-Year-Old Raúl Castro with Indictment Threat – What It Really Signals

by Admin
May 16, 2026

(WiredJA)- As Cuba runs out of fuel and its people endure 22-hour blackouts, the Trump administration moves to indict and...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Haitian Flag Day celebrates history, pride and resilience across the diaspora


EDITOR'S PICK

Clifton Hicken

Police Warn Against Election Misinformation, Cite Legal Consequences

September 2, 2025

58 Lusignan prison inmates complete skills training

May 30, 2023

The Caribbean Youth Environment Network in Guyana Urges Guyanese Volunteers to #CleanOn Virtually during Ocean Conservancy’s 35th Annual International Coastal Cleanup 

November 1, 2020
Dr Karen Cummings

Parliament was paying for house Cummings did not occupy

August 7, 2020

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice