Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

Venezuela and Trinidad On Brink Of Armed Confrontation, PM Bissessar Contemplates Military Using “Deadly Force” After Venezuela Threatens To Enter Country

- Maduro Regime Stated It Will Hunt Down Gangs In Trinidad It Accuses Of Attempting To Undermine It

Admin by Admin
June 6, 2025
in Regional
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) – The Trinidad and Tobago government Thursday night said that it takes “very seriously” threats being made by Venezuela to track down any person outside of the South American country involved in attempts to overthrow the Nicolas Maduro government.

The country’s prime minister Kamla Persad Bissessar, speaking at the post-Cabinet news conference on Thursday, told reporters that she is also aware of statements made by Venezuelan Justice Minister Diosdado Cabello, that a Trinidad and Tobago national was involved in “terrorist activities” aimed at destabilising Venezuela earlier this week.

READ ALSO

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

Cabello has since identified the Trinidadian national as “Gis Kendel Jheron,” and repeated accusations made by President Nicolas Maduro that “terrorists”, including Colombians, had used Trinidad and Tobago as a launching pad in the bid to destabilise the Venezuelan government.

Cabello has vowed to pursue anyone attempting to destabilise Venezuela, saying, “There must be justice.

“We are going after the gangs, wherever they are and wherever they are. Together, we will guarantee peace in this country,” he said.

But Prime Minister Persad Bissessar told reporters that there was no evidence to support the comments made by Cabello, adding, “Today I want to make it very clear to the Venezuelan government and officials that they can do whatever they want on Venezuelan territory, but they cannot come here.

“TNT territory is off-limits to them. If Mr Cabello’s comments are a veiled threat to enter TNT territory, they should reconsider any such intention,” Persad Bissessar said, adding “the fact is, as a responsible government, we have to take all threats against any incursion into our territory seriously”.

She said she would be speaking with her Minister of Defence, Wayne Sturge, and the Attorney General, John Jeremie, to seek advice and protection for the Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard “to use deadly force on any unidentified vessel entering TT waters from Venezuela, smuggling military able-bodied men and women.

“TNT is off limits to them (and) following comments from Maduro and Cabello, we now have to take seriously the threat by that government sending their agents into our country to commit acts that can be adverse to our own welfare.

“We also have to take a look as to how we go forward with Venezuelan migrants here, who are military-aged, able-bodied men and women. We have to take this threat seriously now,” she said, adding that Venezuela has done this before.

“They made similar propaganda comments about Guyana and Colombia whenever they had interior political problems or elections, and then they engage in border skirmishes,” she said, adding, “We will take these threats very seriously”.

Prime Minister Persad Bissessar said that she was also warning drug and human traffickers from Trinidad and Tobago, who are masquerading as fishermen, “if you enter Venezuelan waters to do your illegal acts and you are caught by the authorities, you are on your own.

(Taken from Jamaica Observer)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

St. Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) in Santa Cruz, St. Elizabeth, suffered extensive structural damage following the passage of the powerful Category 5 Hurricane Melissa.
Regional

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The Ministry of Education, Skills, Youth and Information is preparing contingency plans, including rotating students on alternate days, for schools...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Former Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago government to disclose how many nationals have...

Read moreDetails
From left: Newly appointed Bank of Jamaica Governor, Dr Brian Langrin and outgoing BOJ Governor Richard Byles.
Regional

JAMAICA | BOJ Governor Byles Bows Out. Langrin Takes Over on Wednesday.

by Admin
August 18, 2026

After seven years that carried Jamaica from a pandemic to an 11.8 per cent price spike and back inside the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

GAWU clarifies


EDITOR'S PICK

An image from 2015 shows the C-Lion1 submarine telecommunications cable being laid in the Baltic Sea in Helsinki, Finland. Heikki Saukkomaa / AFP - Getty Images file

U.S. allies warn of ‘hybrid warfare’ after two undersea cables cut in Baltic Sea

November 19, 2024

SAMUELS PLEASED WITH PROGRESS AT WEST INDIES WOMEN’S CAMP

October 30, 2022
Chinese Commerce Minister Wang Wentao chairs a meeting with Chinese-funded enterprises in Barcelona, Spain, June 1, 2024. /Chinese Commerce Ministry

Chinese commerce minister: China open to dialogue to resolve trade frictions with EU

June 2, 2024
Dr Frank Anthony, Minister of Health

Health Minister Pushes Stronger Oversight of Rehabilitation Services

December 30, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice