Saturday, August 22, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Wall Street distances itself from Trump, GOP after riots

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
January 12, 2021
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

NORTH CAROLINA, United States (AP) — A growing number of Wall Street banks and businesses have cut ties with President Donald Trump’s campaign and financial arms, as well as the broader Republican Party, following last week’s riots and insurrection at the US Capitol.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

The financial technology company Stripe has stopped processing payments for the Trump campaign, according to a person familiar with the matter who requested anonymity because the decision hasn’t been made public.

The move will cut off Trump’s fund-raising arm from what has been a steady stream of small-dollar donations that are often solicited through e-mails and text messages. Stripe’s decision was first reported by The Wall Street Journal. In the days after the election Trump’s campaign raised tens of millions of dollars, promising to use the money toward fighting the results of the election. That money largely appears to have gone into Trump’s broader political action committee.

American Express and JPMorgan Chase have said they would no longer donate to candidates who supported last week’s insurrection or did not vote to confirm President-elect Joe Biden’s victory in the electoral college. Goldman Sachs is also holding back on political donations, a source at the firm familiar with the matter said who is not authorised to speak publicly on the matter.
“Last week’s attempts by some Congressional members to subvert the presidential election results and disrupt the peaceful transition of power do not align with our [values],” said American Express CEO Steve Squeri, in an e-mail to employees.

Citigroup confirmed Sunday that it is pausing all federal political donations for the first three months of the year.
In a memo to employees Friday, Citi’s head of global government affairs Candi Wolff said “we want you to be assured that we will not support candidates who do not respect the rule of law”.

Several technology companies have clamped down on President Trump, the GOP and other forums that were considered avenues for violent extremism and insurrection. Twitter suspended Trump from its platform, as did Facebook, last week. The social media company Parler was banned from Apple’s App Store as well as the Google Play store, and Amazon cut off Parler from its Amazon Web Services platform.

Shopify, an e-commerce platform for merchants to sell goods, also shut down the Trump campaign’s merchandise website as well.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
CARICOM

CARICOM disappointed, concerned by Venezuela's claims over Guyana’s territory


EDITOR'S PICK

Xie Zhenhua, China's special envoy for climate, left, and Sherry Rehman, minister of climate change for Pakistan, pose for photos during a break in a closing plenary session at the COP27 U.N. Climate Summit, Sunday, Nov. 20, 2022, in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt.

UN climate deal: Calamity cash, but no new emissions cuts

November 20, 2022
Representatives from Gibraltor/Fyrish Farmers's Association with key stakeholders and FAO/PROCASUR facilitators

Technical and Financial Support for Farmers’ Organisation

August 30, 2023
Dean of the Law Faculty of the University of the West Indies (UWI) Professor Rose-Marie Belle Antoine (Trinidad and Tobago Guardian)

UWI Law Dean hospitalised after crash

January 2, 2021
Paul Slowe

Clearly, acting Commissioner Hicken has reached his level of incompetence

October 4, 2022

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice