Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Barbados Govt pursues COVID-19 vaccine routes

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
December 18, 2020
in Global
Prime Minister Mia Mottley (Barbados Today)

Prime Minister Mia Mottley (Barbados Today)

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Prime Minister Mia Mottley (Barbados Today)

 

Barbados Today – Government is currently exploring COVID-19 “vaccine possibilities” with China, Russia and India and the hemisphere’s health agency through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Prime Minister’s office revealed Thursday.

READ ALSO

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

The announcement follows meetings at Ilaro Court with civil servants from the tourism agencies, immigration, ports of entry, health, foreign ministry and other departments.

The talks centred on the country’s performance thus far in the COVID-19 fight and provided a “clear mandate” from Prime Minister Mia Mottley about what the public service needs to do to keep the country protected from the rampage of the novel coronavirus.

“A considerable amount of the discussion also centred on the acquisition and administering of Covid-19 vaccines,” the release the Prime Minister’s Office disclosed.

“The meeting was informed that United States authorities had already been engaged, that the island would leverage its association with the Pan-African drugs purchasing platform, that arrangements were already in place with the Pan American Health Organisation (PAHO) to acquire 20 per cent of the country’s needs, [and] that through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Chinese, Russian and Indian vaccine possibilities were being examined.”

In addition to the procurement of vaccines, Government is shoring up its store of testing supplies in response to a projected increase in traffic at the country’s lone international airport, the Prime Minister’s Office said.

“Officials at the Grantley Adams International Airport and the Immigration Department were also directed to make maximum use of digital processing procedures in order to minimize the physical handling of passports and other documents that have the potential to spread the virus,” said the release.

The Prime Minister also mandated the Ministry of Health to ramp back up its communications and public relations programmes to ensure that Barbadians do not slip into a state of complacency, given the country’s success so far in preventing any community spread of the virus.

The Prime Minister’s Office added: Notwithstanding the repeated letters of commendation Government has received from Barbadians and visitors who contracted COVID-19 and found themselves in mandatory isolation at the Harrison Point facility or those who were restricted to other public quarantine centres, the meetings agreed on the implementation of additional measures to improve their customer service experience. These include enhanced meal menus and improved leisure facilities.”

At the Ilaro Court meeting, updates were also provided from the BTMI on the Welcome Stamp Initiative along with ways in which it can be “reinvigorated”.

In addition to the focus on suppressing fallout from the pandemic, officials in the Ministry of Health and other areas were instructed to resume work on tackling the country’s lifestyle diseases.

The PMO said: “The Ministry of Health and Wellness was instructed to immediately fill all vacancies for community health workers, to put in place a memorandum of understanding with the Ministry of Elder Affairs to expand and speed up the process of assessing more people seeking institutional care and providing an updated report on the status of the initiative to construct a new fit-for-purpose geriatric care hospital.”

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
[Photo/Xinhua]
Global

Robotics boom fueling nation’s tech ambitions

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 3,000 cutting-edge robots and related products packed the 2026 World Robot Conference, which opened in Beijing on Wednesday,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

COVID-19 death toll climbs to 159 as Region Three woman dies


EDITOR'S PICK

Photo Illustration by Elizabeth Brockway/The Daily Beast/Getty/Reuters

Kamala Harris Locks Down Dem Nomination—and Hires Obama Campaign Guru

August 2, 2024
Chief Executive Officer of NAREI, Mr. Jagnarine Singh and General Manager of SBM Offshore, Mr. Francesco Prazzo after the signing of the MoU for funding of NAREI’s Mangrove Project on October 26, 2021.

SBM Offshore to fund $68M mangrove restoration project

November 7, 2021
Brazil President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva (Reuters photo)

Days before new president, old divisions tearing at Brazil

December 27, 2022

WORD OF THE DAY: UNTENABLE

January 10, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice