The Government of Guyana has reaffirmed that it has not approved any increase in public transportation fares and has warned operators against charging passengers above the legally established rates.
Public Works Minister Juan Edghill reiterated the government’s position during a meeting with transportation owners and operators at Stabroek Market Square on May 19, amid growing complaints from commuters about arbitrary fare increases on several routes.
“The Government of Guyana has explicitly stated that it has neither approved nor sanctioned any increase in fares across all modes of public transportation, including minibuses, hire cars, speedboats, and airport taxis,” the Ministry of Public Works said in a statement.
Edghill made it clear that existing fares remain in force.
“No fare increase has been approved by the government, whether it is for speedboats, taxis, minibuses, or hire cars. The fares remain the same. No Guyanese citizen, tourist, child, or worker should be forced to pay increased rates,” the minister stated.
The government also warned operators against ejecting passengers who refuse to pay unauthorised fares.
“Furthermore, no driver has the authority to put a passenger out of their vehicle for refusing to pay unapproved fares. If anyone forces you to pay an increased fare or subjects you to harassment, report it immediately and we, as the regulators, will take decisive action,” Edghill said.
The minister’s comments follow reports that some operators on Routes 40 and 44, among others, have been charging passengers above approved rates, citing increased operating expenses and traffic delays. Recent media reports indicated that some commuters have been paying significantly higher fares than those officially sanctioned.
Government officials maintain that fare increases can only take effect following consultation and approval by the relevant authorities. The administration has consistently opposed unilateral fare hikes, arguing that they place additional burdens on citizens already facing higher living costs. Similar warnings were issued in 2022 and again in 2023 when operators sought to raise transportation charges without approval.
According to the Ministry, the government’s position is that transport operators already benefit from measures implemented to cushion rising operational costs, including the removal of excise taxes on fuel. Edghill previously noted that these interventions were intended to help operators manage expenses while protecting commuters from excessive fare increases.
The May 19 engagement included officials from several agencies, among them Tourism Minister Susan Rodrigues, representatives of the Competition and Consumer Affairs Commission, the Maritime Administration Department (MARAD), the Guyana Police Force and the Public Utilities Commission. The meeting was convened in response to increasing reports of unauthorised fare adjustments across the transportation sector.
Government officials are urging commuters to report incidents of overcharging or harassment to the relevant authorities, insisting that public transportation operators must comply with the approved fare structure until any changes are lawfully authorized
