Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

United States Completes Withdrawal from World Health Organisation

Admin by Admin
January 23, 2026
in Global
The World Health Organization’s headquarters in Geneva. The Trump administration said that all U.S. government funding to the organization had been terminated.Credit...Denis Balibouse/Reuters

The World Health Organization’s headquarters in Geneva. The Trump administration said that all U.S. government funding to the organization had been terminated.Credit...Denis Balibouse/Reuters

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The United States has officially completed its withdrawal from the World Health Organisation (WHO), citing the agency’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, failure to implement reforms, and susceptibility to political influence.

The announcement was made jointly by Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Secretary of State Marco Rubio. In a statement, they said the U.S. is ending its membership due to the WHO’s “mishandling of the COVID-19 pandemic that arose out of Wuhan, China,” its inability to adopt urgently needed reforms, and its failure to demonstrate independence from “inappropriate political influence of WHO member states.”

READ ALSO

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

President Donald Trump first announced plans to withdraw the U.S. from the WHO on January 20, 2025. Over the past year, the U.S. halted all funding to the organisation, withdrew its personnel, and redirected activities previously conducted with WHO to bilateral engagements with other countries and organisations. According to the statement, the U.S. will continue to coordinate with the WHO in a limited capacity only to complete the withdrawal process.

The White House statement criticised WHO’s early response to COVID-19, saying the agency delayed declaring a global public health emergency and pandemic, which “cost the world critical weeks as the virus spread.” WHO leadership, the statement added, “echoed and praised China’s response despite evidence of early underreporting, suppression of information, and delays in confirming human-to-human transmission.” The organisation also allegedly downplayed risks of asymptomatic transmission and was slow to acknowledge airborne spread.

Following the pandemic, the WHO reportedly did not adopt meaningful reforms to address governance weaknesses, political influence, or coordination gaps, undermining global trust in the agency. Its report evaluating the origins of COVID-19 rejected the possibility that scientists created the virus, even though Chinese authorities did not provide genetic sequences from early patients or information on Wuhan laboratories’ activities and biosafety conditions.

The U.S. said it remains committed to global health leadership. Future efforts will focus on emergency response, biosecurity coordination, and health innovation through direct engagement with other countries, private sector partners, non-governmental organizations, and faith-based entities, prioritizing protection of the American public while supporting global health.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
[Photo/Xinhua]
Global

Robotics boom fueling nation’s tech ambitions

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 3,000 cutting-edge robots and related products packed the 2026 World Robot Conference, which opened in Beijing on Wednesday,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
WIN Leader and Leader of the Opposition Azruddin Mohamed MP

Rights Group Oversteps, Directs MPs Not to Elect Mohamed as Opposition Leader


EDITOR'S PICK

Covid death toll at 119  

October 25, 2020
Finance Minister Nigel Clarke to be appointed Deputy Managing Director of the IMF effective October 31 2024.

Jamaica’s Finance Minister Nigel Clarke next IMF Deputy Managing Director

August 26, 2024
Adrianna Young (Spectrum Magazine photo)

Adrianna Younge’s forensic report questionable, time of death unknown – Dr. Devonish

May 18, 2025

Let us now be faithful to the major articles in our Constitution

May 12, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice